Whats the best in sump skimmer out there?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
im building a sump tomorrow or this weekend and i want to build it to accomidate a good skimmer down the road. cause hopfully in december ill have lots of extra $$ to play with. and am going to get a good skimmer and what not. so i was wondering what a good skimmer would be for a 130gallon tank with a 55 gallon sump. and i have about 28" of height maybe 30

I don't think you could point at any one skimmer and say it's best.
Look at one of the cone skimmers. SWC has some nice ones for the $

Marlin,
Reef Octopus or SWC. I will have one for sale in a couple weeks. I bought a new Reef octopus 2000 and it pulls some nasty skimmate. Just yeaterday I picked up a SWC 250. I'm in the process of evaluating it now. So when I figure out which one I'm keeping one of them will be on the chopping block. I think they are the best affordable skimmer out there. I did a ton of research before buying mine and I have to say all the positive reviews on both of these skimmers appear to be true. What width and length are you going with?
Darrell

Dream Skimmer

If money were no object this would be my skimmer..
http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/productCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=625&idcategory=197

I don't have a lot of experience, but have read alot, and also some people I really respect in this hobby have Bubble Kings.

Seeing as I will never be able to afford a BK, I will probably shoot for a SWC Xtreme Cone 160.

Hopefully you will get some good informed answers from reefers with more than my newbie knowledge.

Good Luck
Ichthys

alrighty thanks for the info guys. i guess ill make my skimmer area big enough to hold a swc. that seems to a common answer.
im not sure what you mean byu what length and width. i havent gone with any size yet. im trying to find out what size i should do for future upgrades

there are lots of skimmers out there it depends on your budget! bang for buck skimmers are avast nac series and avastmarine also has the swabbie head cleaner nice bonus for the product I have a media reactor from them good quality of material looks to be tonka tough. then you have stated above swc being easier to get a hold of as Skimmy is selling them now.

I have an SWC 160 cone and I think it kicks butt. My total volume is around 120 (tank+fuge+sump)

You might want to go one size larger. Talk to skimmerwhisperer on the forums here. He has a vendor forum (I think) called Green Skimmers (or maybe its under SWC still?)

He can answer any questions about the SWC. They are great skimmers and a lot less expensive than others

Back