What's the best way to get rid of mushrooms?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mc_hong

Fellow reefers,
I have hundreds of mushrooms. They took over life rocks and covering corals.
They're the purple and green stripe shrooms and they're everywhere!

Do you know any way of getting rid of them without taking the rock out?
Any help and suggestions?
Any fish/invert that will eat them?

Thanks,
Moeljo

If you can't get them off the rocks and use them for trades, use a mixture of kalk paste.
I'd only do a small portion at a time.

get an exacto knife and cut them off from underneath the mushroom. and then i will take them off your hands

RID OF THEM?!?!?! RID OF THEM?!?!!? Mushrooms are my favorite! Alas, not for you...
Try what Returnofsid said. Kalk paste and scraping them may leave some of the pedal foot on the rock, and they will grow back. Keep in mind the heat will kill the 'live' part of the rock, but it's got to be better than boiling the entire rock.

Thanks for the suggestions...
The problem with taking them out by hand is that they seem to spew out some chemicals.
I assume this is probably is bad for the rest of the corals.

I'll try few first that's covering my monti & candy-cane.

Moeljo

Gas and a match. My 125 has quite a few but for some funny reason they stayed on a PVC spray bar that I have in my tank. Anyone want a long piece of PVC with red mushrooms all over it. I'm moving into a 180 and the PVC is going to go away. Not kidding...PM me.

I want to get rid of most of mine too they are stinging my other corals. I keep putting it off but I am going to try pointing a powerhead at them wait for them to let go and net them out.

Brian

Brian, please let me know how it goes. Just be careful not to spread it even more :)
These shrooms are pests! Somebody told me that Heniocus will eat shrooms??

agree with that statement; i've been selecting cutting them out of my tank, i remove a big one and 3 small ones replace it within a week. ugg.

Gas and a match. My 125 has quite a few but for some funny reason they stayed on a PVC spray bar that I have in my tank. Anyone want a long piece of PVC with red mushrooms all over it. I'm moving into a 180 and the PVC is going to go away. Not kidding...PM me.

How long is the bar and how many shrooms on it?

I have a quick fix for mushrooms! - Occasionally in your LFS you will see a hermit crab with a symbiotic anemone attached to its shell. I bought one of these about 8 yrs ago b/c I thought it looked "cool", and found out quickly that they like to chow on mushrooms. I have looked around for pictures of this guy, but don't know exactly what he's called. The anemone is usually about 1/2 the size of the shell, and there may be two per shell. I will keep searching for pics.

I agree with some of the posts above though - sell them to your LFS. I get rid of mushrooms weekly and they sell fast.

How long is the bar and how many shrooms on it?

Give some to me! I love shrooms. haha

You guys should have PM'd me. I moved out of the 125 into a 180 and just let the mushrooms shrivel and die in the old tank. Now I've only got a few to deal with on the rock that I moved to the new tank. I should be mushroom free with a few judicious applications of kalk paste.

Mike

Wow haha I love the shrooms in my tank. But yeah they aren't for everyone...razor blade would work i think...I got one off the way to move the rock to a different end of the tank

A propane blow torch works wonders!! Honestly, mushrooms are a hard one to eradicate, unfortunately.

+1 I have had to kill these things before and this is the only sure way i have found. I scrape what i can off and use a torch lighter and burn whats left to a cinder.

I put my frog spawn next to them and seemed to sting the mushrooms... kept them at bay!

Mine are green mushrooms... other mushes may react diferently.

Back