whats the red gooy stuff on my live rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saltytaste

hey all i just kinda noticed a little bit of gooy dark redish color stuff collecting on my live rock under the lighting wondering what it is and how to keep it from coming back it comes off pretty easy but it comes back every couple days

red slim, or cyano bacteria, I think it's called. I've used "ChemiClean" to kill most of it with success. What was harder though was figuring out why it was growing in the first place. Once I cleaned up the water, and added more flow to the low flow areas It went away. I've heard it can choke corals out, if it's left unchecked. I'd get a second opinion from a more experienced reffer before you take my word for it.

Sounds sounds like cynobacteria. Do a google search on it and see if it matches. If so, you can siphon off what is growing there to remove it from your tank and increase flow to the affected areas as they typically don't like high flow areas. This will not solve the problem so you will need to try and find the root of the problem. It could be anything from high nitrate or phosphate levels due to over stocking, over feeding, in-sufficient maintenance, not using ro/di water etc. Let us know though a bit more about your tank as it is also a part of the cycling process and also, confirm that it is cyno as well. :)

Last edited:
What? Do you mean its not suppose to be there. I thought everyone wanted to purple up the tank? Dang I thought I was doing a good then.

What? Do you mean its not suppose to be there. I thought everyone wanted to purple up the tank? Dang I thought I was doing a good then.

Haha!! :lol:. If you are talking about coraline then a lot of people love it but cyno, I think you are just living in denial :p

Its Friday
I’m always in denial
Someone actually said they liked it when they saw my tank a couple months ago
I had to tell them it was a sign of an unhealthy tank and its not suppose to every ware
I wish I had coralline algae.
It doesn’t grow in my tank.
But I’m not trying to hijack the thread, its just Friday and after 5 and the twisted tea is flowing cold.
The fix in my case was a new refrugium and macro algae to export the excess nutrients in my system.

Last edited:
I just went through the cyano battle a while back. I used a piece of airline tubing and syphoned out as much as I could every couple days. I also cut way back on the food. Between less food and the water changes/syphoning (on a religious schedule) I managed to win the battle. It didn't happen overnight..took about 6 weeks actually...but it did happen and without medications.

I just went through the cyano battle a while back. I used a piece of airline tubing and syphoned out as much as I could every couple days. I also cut way back on the food. Between less food and the water changes/syphoning (on a religious schedule) I managed to win the battle. It didn't happen overnight..took about 6 weeks actually...but it did happen and without medications.

Yea, medications are usually just a temporary fix. Getting to the root of the problem ensures that you won't have a re-occurance or atleast, limits the chances of it happeneing again. First line of tratment is finding the source IMO. Cyno needs certain things in order to grow so find what is providing the fule/food source and eliminate it. :)

yeah it is cyano .. ya all ive been doing is using a small syphon ... pain in the ass .. and directed some more flow to the top of my rock where its most at kinda stinks cuz my anenome moved but still looks happy now . im not sure whats bringing it on it must just be a new tank thing cause this tank is less than 4 months old

Back