whats ur water flow turn over?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Really just semantics. These thread are more about horsepower and bragging rights than anything else. I do think they do more harm than good as far as new reefers are concerned. Most people lack the ability to break down a reef system and understand how each subsystem works to compliment or hinder the other.

Don

Sounds like the main question asked is how much water movement do you have in your tank. Call it what you like, turnover, displacement, etc ... How much total pumping action is going on. If that is a correct request by the thread starter, then move forward with that assumption.

A debate about turbulent flow vs turnover can certainly be held in a new thread if someone wants to start one?

Sounds like the main question asked is how much water movement do you have in your tank. Call it what you like, turnover, displacement, etc ... How much total pumping action is going on. If that is a correct request by the thread starter, then move forward with that assumption.

A debate about turbulent flow vs turnover can certainly be held in a new thread if someone wants to start one?

By no means am I offended by this discussion.
No harm/no foul.

Matt

By no means am I offended by this discussion.
No harm/no foul.

Matt

OK, that really pisses me off:lol::lol:

I have 2 SEIO 2600s = 5400 (deflectors are off, higher flow?)
I Korilla 4 1200
MD40RLXT 1200
eheim on my chiller 400
little giant on sea swirl call it 900 with elbows

Totals 9100 round it down to 8000 GPH to play it safe

180 gallon tank equals 44 times. Bet it is a lot less than that though

Oh, so we are talking theoretical turnover, well then mine adding the ATO and CaRx totals to10,000 GPH and with all the rock, only have about 90 gallons so lets say it is about 110Xs:shock::badgrin:

Next let me explain how I have a 5 legged talking dog :lol::lol:

No need to get off track on this subject. Please stick to the topic at hand. If you don't like what you see posted you don't need to respond. Some posts have been removed.

PM me directly if you have any issues.

FYI---19.5 times per day turnover with 590gph turbulent flow.

Perfect for your inhabitants, Im sure. With this little mini debate you've started you have me thinking........ Thanks, we could all use to be more open to new (or old) ideas and thougths of how to look at our tanks.

I have a 40 Gallon tank with an 850 koralia and a 600 koralia and cant seem to find a place to put my bubble as it seems as thought there is tooo much movement for it anywhere. Imput anyone?

I have a 40 Gallon tank with an 850 koralia and a 600 koralia and cant seem to find a place to put my bubble as it seems as thought there is tooo much movement for it anywhere. Imput anyone?

Aim your koralias towards the front glass. More importantly, welcome to this fun and helpful site. Pictures?

Perfect for your inhabitants, Im sure. With this little mini debate you've started you have me thinking........ Thanks, we could all use to be more open to new (or old) ideas and thougths of how to look at our tanks.

Unintended, but thanks.

My tank is 42 gallons, 60gallons total water volume. It's the dimensions that create quite a nice flow. 48"L x 16"D x 13"W. Any more than that and it'll be too much for the fish...

toddg - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!

I second it...Welcome to RF! todgg! :)

As for the flow, I'm going to try and top my 38gal on my next tank to see how well it works out...I had about 4,000 gph in a small 24 inch long cube and the fish and corals loved it! Hardly anything compared to what they are use to in the wild so I figure a bit more should be cool :cool:.

I second it...Welcome to RF! todgg! :)

As for the flow, I'm going to try and top my 38gal on my next tank to see how well it works out...I had about 4,000 gph in a small 24 inch long cube and the fish and corals loved it! Hardly anything compared to what they are use to in the wild so I figure a bit more should be cool :cool:.

I think 10K maybe 12K gph in your 38 is about right.:lol:

LOL! I live on an island man and snorkle all the time and I can tell you, the water sure isn't calm half the time so I think I'd want to replicate the ocean as much as possible :)

Last edited:
Don...Do not give him ideas. You are old enough to know better.

Don...Do not give him ideas. You are old enough to know better.

The problem is Krish is still young and hasnt figured out its not about size but what you do with. Until he figures out what to do with it hes just going to have to rely on size.:lol:

Don

Back