• Plenum

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Starboard

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters

NaH2O

What's on the bottom of your tank, and what type of system is it (SPS, LPS, softies, mixed)? What are your likes and dislikes about what you have chosen?

My tank is bare bottom, but slowly getting covered in coralline (this will be SPS system). The nano is a shallow sand bed (~2.5"). The bare bottom tank makes it easy to siphon up the detritus, and allows for different flow patterns/circulation near the bottom of the tank without causing a sand storm. The nano tank is mainly softies and a few LPS, so the sand is a good choice, IMO.

Let's hear what's on your tank's bottom?

Yes, before I knew any better and I setup my tank in an emergency I used crushed coral which I am slowly but surely removing by simply syphoning it out.

So I guess in time it'll be bare bottom

SAND baby SAND. Its like the bottom of the ocean where its SANDY, not where its rocky or silty but where its SAND. LOL

The 5G nano is a SSB (~1"), and I'm prepping a 20G w/ 15G sump to move the livestock from the 5G into with about a 1.5" SSB.

the only thing in the tank that's not a softie is a candy cane, and its doing better than anything else, so it seems to not mind. =)

that being said, I hate maintaining this thing. The 5G leave very little room for me to get a vacuum into the bed in more than just a couple places, so its pretty nasty, which is the reason for the upgrade to a 20G.

-Dylan

DSB at about 5" of fine aragonite, in a 65 gal. with mag 12 return, mag 9.5 on a closed loop thru chiller AND a Tunze 6000 on a controller. NO sandstorm. :)
Tom

Sandy bottoms

Deep Sand bottom in my 75 gallon Clam/SPS tank with a alot of sand sifting snails :)

Crushed Coral in my 150 tank full of LPS/SPS/ Softies/Clams The Crushed Coral works very well for my Pistol shrimp always building a new fort Every day :)

Alright smarty pants (that goes for you too Trevor)! LOL :lol: Guess some people don't keep up with their maintenance :D

SAND baby SAND. Its like the bottom of the ocean where its SANDY, not where its rocky or silty but where its SAND. LOL
LOL you should try to mimic the reefs Steve where thier is no sand :oops: :D :D

sorry I couldnt resist

Mike

I know Mojo, if I had any sense I would use sand in the cat pan, and go bare bottom. I really am considering it. I just couldnt resist being a smart a$$. LOL But you know what happens when you get sand on your bare bottom. Chapped a$$. LOL Steve

I'm curious if anyone has ever tried/looked into using tile on the bottom of their bare bottom tank, and what if any negatives there would be to using it...besides sealing it to the bottom of the tank so that detritus doesn't get caught between the tile and the tank.
I know there are people out there who have used starboard or other plastic products like it. I will be setting up a new tank in the next few months and will going bare bottom, and was thinking that some tile would look really nice instead of seeing only the acrylic.

Any thoughts or concerns about this?

-Eliyah

Hmmm Eliyah never thought about that. What would be the make up of the tile I guess would be the first question??

Mike

BB for me great thread nikki. Chuck I have been thinking the same thing about cooking the rock. If you do it we need pics and a thread about it.

Back