Where to get 1000w metal halide equipment??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mr James

The tank is roughly 4.5' tall and we are contemplating 4 x 400w mh's or 2 x 1000w and 2 x 400w. Or you can help me decide what to do about the lighting?!? The tank is 1500g and we plan to do a reef tank (as opposed to a FOWLR). The measurements of the tank are 8'L x 6'W x 4.5'T.

ebay has some stuff, that is where i got my lights for $400, and they are 3 400w. by the way, you have to so us the set up of your tank, that thing will be awsome!!!!

You are def going to need more lights to cover that sq. footage. You could prob get away with 8 fixtures. I think 400W HQI's would pentrate that depth as long as you place corals accordingly.

i agree with that too. by theory, if i have 3x400's on a 240, you should have about 18x400's. but with that, i think that you would be able to grow anything and put anything anywhere. that is just my thought though...i have been wrong before!

I will try to answer more questions this weekend and will post pictures too. We are going to start the tear down process and look to see what is under all of that existing sand and live rock.

We plan to do some hard corals up high (i.e., not too deep), maybe some live plants, soft corals and low light corals down on the lower levels. We have some experienced folks in our group which is helpful. Thanks a ton for your insight. I may try the 4 x 400w and see where it gets us. I think we already have 2 x 1000w lights that we can use too. Man, I thought the 400's would do it. Some days I think I get it.

BTW, I am not new to this hobby, but I am new to this forum. I like it. I am Mr James over on RC too. It's almost midnight and I am sure th wifey is peeved I am still on line. Will post more later. Thanks again for all the insight and keep teh suggestions coming. I appreciate it.

Back