Votes: 3 2.8%
  • NSW (Natural Sea Water)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Coral life

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • other

Votes: 17 16.0%

• Total voters
I kinda can and kinda can't vote here.....I use a 50\50 mix of Tropic Marin sea salt and Tropic Marin Pro Reef. I don't use Kent or IO because they have always led me to believe they are :censored: everyone I know who uses that stuff also doses for all kinds of things that are missing in it. My levels are consistent and from what I understand preferred.

Cal, Alk, Mag, PH, Salinity....always right on par.

Last edited:
I use IO and RC, both made by the same company, almost 40 years now, commercially #1 selling in the world and the product works great and also a great price and available everywhere, so that is about why I use it, also researched tons on salt and mixes etc and still like IO/RC.

I've found that a 50/50 mix of Neo Marine Brightwell salt and H2Ocean mix up damn near perfect every time. Like any salt, it helps to mix the full buckets at once which is why I make 300 gallons at a time :)

One thing you can't deny about IO is the price.....very very affordable....probably the most affordable thing you can find for our hobby.

Thanks for posting up this poll. Our tank came with Instant Ocean and it has come time where we need to purchase more salt. Wasn't sure if we should stick to the same brand or search for something else. Looks like we'll be sticking with Instant Ocean! :)

I have been using NSW for over 10 years now in both reefs and fish only. Never have an issue. I can haul alot of saltwater for a fraction of the cost of a bucket if salt. My current tank is a 210 reef.

coral life cheap and never had an issue with it

I got a bag of bad coralife salt a while back. I traded some corals for 3 bags from a fellow reefer, and when I started using the second bag, I was having issues with low PH. I kept doing water changes, and my PH kept getting lower until I finally made a new batch of water and tested it to find the real problem. The freshly made mixed water was starting around 7.8 or lower. I stopped using it, and when I opened the new bag, everything was testing out right.

Recently switched to ESV's BI-Ionic 4 part mix. I'm going to test it this morning. I still have about a half bucket of Salinity but there is something about the chemical smell and the black residue it leaves that makes me want to switch.

I have been using NSW for over 10 years now in both reefs and fish only. Never have an issue. I can haul alot of saltwater for a fraction of the cost of a bucket if salt. My current tank is a 210 reef.

I'd love to be able to use NSW. I lived in Lompoc, CA. about two miles from the beach and I thought about starting my first SW tank there. The water there (from Santa Barbara to San Luis Obispo depending on the tide) has a lot of tar in it from the off-shore oil rigs. It didn't seem to affect much of the wildlife on the shore but I'm sure the chemicals would build up in a closed system. Did a lot of surfing there and the tar is difficult to remove. I'm sure a small bit would foul an impellar and it would be almost impossible to get it out of the internal parts of teh motor.

Back