Who could take my tank continued.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

khaosinc

the cyborg reefer
Well, after 3 weeks of phone tag I finally got to talk to Andy Sims (the biologist at the Seattle Aquarium) and while they could take most of my livestock/rock and inverts, it doesn't sound like they would be interested in taking the equipment if something were to go wrong with me.
So I guess I'm still looking for an option/group/person who would be able possibly on short notice to come help tear down my system and move it should anything happen to me. It might be a week, and I might outlive all of you, but I'm trying to have this in place so my family/GF doesn't have to deal with it if I died or ended up unable to care for my system due to my ongoing heart and circulation issues.
I wouldn't even be against having a store take the equipment as long as they were in a position to be able to take all of it. Don't see why they couldn't use my truck and trailer if its still around.

Any leads would be appreciated... I know lots of people think they want a system this size, but do keep in mind the short notice posibilities and the cost of simply setting it back up after moving it. let alone the power bills, and what it could do to a floor.

On the lighter side, I have an open invite to get to see the behind the "tank" aspect of the Seattle aquarium...

Hey Kevin,
I will talk to Ben here at WWU the first week in August.
I will swing up there next week and see the changes if you are around.

-Todd

I'm usually around somewhere. You're always invited. Everything is growing in nicely..

Behind the tank at the Seattle Aquarium sounds awesome! I hope you have a great time there, and that you find someone to care for your things. Good luck with your health!

Looking forward to it, if I ever get back down to Seattle. I get traumatized going to Bellingham anymore. Lived in the boonies too long.

I was able to get the back side short tour (about 1/2 hour) and it was great..And about 10 mins of Andy’s time also in the process.

Bought a Sump off of Craig’s list and picked it up at the aquarium. It was from one of the Engineers and he helped me out with my plumbing ideas at the same time.

If only I had more time it would have lasted longer.

Anyone know how to get *inside* the tank at the aquarium? I heard it was semi-open to divers

From what i understand its a mainly voulenteer driven building you put in the time and have to kind of work your way into the corprate fishtank in a sense

OK so I cant speak on behalf of what space and room I will have after we buya house, but if we dont have space for a 750 gallon, Ill be happy to take the pumps, controller skimmer (I mean that hubble telescope ) LOL

kidding.....I hate morbid talk LOL think positive as they say the good die young, so I think your here for a while :O LOL joking

I hate to think about it as well, but given my history I really should be. As far as I can tell, I shouldn't have lived through at least 2 of the surgeries. You know it isn't good when Dr Douglas is telling your parents that he's never tried anything like this before.

My fear w/ going to the aquarium isn't the drive, its the walking. I don't know how well I can get around back there.

You need to get yourself an electric wheel chair, and then modify it with a Harley motor!!! I could honestly see you doing that!!!

I have a Revtech 100 sitting in my back room w/a 6 speed transmission just waiting for some one that can use it. We can have you on the road in no time.

Hope all is still going good for you khaosinc. I wish I could support a tank that large, I would offer to pre pay you for it.
You take care of your self.

You know it isn't good when Dr Douglas is telling your parents that he's never tried anything like this before.

I think that is great, to be honest. Doctors who aren't willing to innovate or try something different are terrible for patients. Doc Douglas is thinking outside the box to save your life.

Some older doctors still won't even do relatively simple procedures laparoscopicly (minimally invasive) because they have been doing them as open surgeries their whole lives and don't want to retrain themselves.

along the same lines, Ive seen Dr's that dont keep up with current technology still slicing and dicing when the patient isnt wiser to less invasive safer methods (thank goodness our generation is internet research savvy :) or do additional "procedures" for a billable code.

not everyone Ill add. but it isnt uncommon either

along the same lines, Ive seen Dr's that dont keep up with current technology still slicing and dicing when the patient isnt wiser to less invasive safer methods (thank goodness our generation is internet research savvy :) or do additional "procedures" for a billable code.

not everyone Ill add. but it isnt uncommon either

yeah this is what I'm talking about. My father is a thorasic surgeon who specialized in reflux repair. it's a fairly simple procedure that he has done literally thousands of laparoscopically with great results.

he knows some docs who prefer to do the procedure open with the same effectiveness of the repair but 6+ weeks of recovery instead of less than half that.

The difference is going to be magnified even more going forward with the robo-doc. Prostate removal with Da Vinci only requires 1-2 days in the hospital and you can be up and around normally within 2 weeks instead of 2 months. Even more importantly, it becomes much easier to spare the 2 nerves that would otherwise leave you limp and incontinent.

My chest is a mess from it but I'm still not dead so I suppose I can't argue much. I think it would take bolt cutters to get in there again from what I understand. It is frustrating to finally have the time for all the projects you always wanted to get to and not have your body agree with doing them. I've always worked 60+ hours a week and have a heck of a time figuring out what to do with myself...

Whats most annoying is not being able to work on the car projects yet that are sitting in my shop and have been waiting patiently for years for me to get to them..

Hmmm revtech 100, 3 wheeled cart and extendable front end for high speeds...

Re: dave..

I wracked up over $1 million on my insurace between june of last year and feb. of this year... I don't think I missed much in terms of billable activities.

Last edited:
Back