Who put this in my tank!!!(LOL)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What was that about ocd I was reading earlier krish? Sure you wouldn't cook your rock from just one valonia... suuuuurre...

you see i'm not the only one Krish :lol: .

...To go with your gold teeth??

LOL!! gold teeth... no thanks but i could use it for the bank :lol:

What was that about ocd I was reading earlier krish? Sure you wouldn't cook your rock from just one valonia... suuuuurre...

:p :p :p ROFL! Who has OCD :rolleyes: If I find a few more then we will have a problem, but until then...I'll call it a fluke! :D

There is a process to cook live rock that does not involve any heat. Now that I think of it I don't know why it is called cooking the live rock.
It is basically just putting the LR on a dark container with SW and a powerhead for movement, for about 8 weeks, think of it like curing the LR without lights. This is very popular with BB reefers since the LR will shead stuff when is first in the tank, you will do water changes and dunk the rock to help it sheed the stuff prior to adding it to the tank.
This will also kill all algie and supposebly aiptasia and mojano anemone because of the lack of light and food.
If you have a big problem with bubble algie or hair algie this is the way to go.

Just so we're clear here..."rock cooking" does not guarantee the death of all algae and pests. It is directly dependent on the length of time the rock is "cooked" for and how clean the water is kept. The original purpose of rock cooking was to rid the rock of detritus built up inside the rock. I have personally seen rock that was cooked for a good long time still grow algae out of it without anything new to seed it. The stuff has been around for a long time and is able to adapt to almost any situation we throw at it.

My personal view is that if you are going the cooking route, just save your money and get base rock instead of live rock since you are pretty much killing all life by "cooking" it anyway. It's counter productive in my mind.

Just my personal views, opinions, and observations.

Oh boy!:lol: I shouldn't have mentioned cooking rocks:lol: I'm not going to cook any rocks guys:lol: Look for my new pics now on my new thread I'm going to start in a few minutes! I figured out how to use my camera some more and I also added on that new piece all finished! So don't worry about cooking rock...Look for the new pics!!!:p

While I have never had valeonia in my tank before I have dealt with it. Personally, I think it looks cool. I don't like a sterile tank though. I like have certain algaes in my tank. I like my tank to look natural which does include algae. While it can get to plague proportions it takes time.

While I have never had valeonia in my tank before I have dealt with it. Personally, I think it looks cool. I don't like a sterile tank though. I like have certain algaes in my tank. I like my tank to look natural which does include algae. While it can get to plague proportions it takes time.

Yeah...Some green makes things look more natural because to be honest, I've never seen a reef here without some form of algae or "green" on it. Too bad I've always pushed for no "green" but who knows, I may like it if I get some eventually...Once it isn't hair:p

LOL...You use to love it at one time

yeap all my snails loved it too remember .... funky ... well she still has it :p and sometimes she goes by the powerhead and gets a hair due :lol: ..... it's just awesome :D.

Back