wholesale to the public?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I agree that many LFS's won't make it through this transition, but that doesn't mean they are a dying breed. many small market areas won't be able to make it no matter how good the management/foresight. If, however, there is a decent market in an area there will ALWAYS be a way to make it. All that has to be done is good market research. I'm not talking about costly corperate style research. What is really needed in the market? Dry goods are easily bought online, as are most pieces of equipment. Servicing is a big money maker because there are always businesses and people wanting aquariums and not wanting to deal with the knowledge and upkeep. Livestock selection, and more importantly CONDITION of livestock, will bring many people through your doors. Find what moves. Research other existing shops before moving in. And more importantly, talk to your customer. They will tell you what they want and what you need to work on.

first off great topic secondly I didnt read all the posts so excuse me if I say something already stated

You are right about the Internet pricing being very in expensive because most wholesalers buy in bulk and can afford to sell there product at a lower price knowing it will sell alot faster, but yes like someone stated before I would rather go to a store physically to buy a fish than rather order it off line or order It from a particular store at the least

The way prices are now a days its getting to be dog eat dog n my world and if the lfs can't compete than so be it

wouldnt it be profitable for the Internet stores to open up a lfs branch of there own that the prices would be slightly higher but you would still have at least a selection choice of preference that is if they do like you say end up shutting all the lfs down

it would also be more business oriented for lfs to venture off into other means of profit such as selling plants and animals such as dogs and cats maybe even exotics such as monkeys and so on

it would also be more business oriented for lfs to venture off into other means of profit such as selling plants and animals such as dogs and cats maybe even exotics such as monkeys and so on

When they do that then it won't be labled as an LFS it would be more like a general pet store. So there fore you won't get the specialize care and info on this hobby. All the pet stores around here that sells every animal under the sun has very limited knowledge of what they are selling. That is very sad!:(

You don't have to sell cats and dogs, but reptiles go well in fish stores. They even have an awesome return business on feeders. I know of one place that pays damn near all of the rent with crickets and rats. This allows them to keep livestock prices low. Thats if they would actually order it though.

Right you are

But I believe there will be lfs evolution and it may start with my online store that I plan on turning into a world wide franchise for all salt water creatures

I'm gonna turn the salt water world into the salt water universe, LOL maybe one day

But all it takes is an idea and some employees with degrees in marine biology

You don't need a marine biology degree to run a lfs. A simple business degree would be better. You can easily learn a lot of things in this hobby by reading articles and talking to others.

The marine degree would be to answer any advanced questions about live stock or corals

Of course you wouldnt need one to open a store but it would help to take care of the live stock and customers.

Yeah I agree customer service has gone to the grave. It is so impersonal now. I mean everytime I call a company for service what do I get a freaking automated system or some stupid computer processed personality jerking me around. Its like pulling your nails out of your finger just to talk to an actual human being.

yeah. but I did call live aquaria and a person answered the phone. Had me completely floored.. First thing I said was "should I hit 1 for english"

The ones i completely hate now is the say a command.. What programed phrases you want... Makes me get completely rude and say "operator or customer service" then it keeps trying to talk to you. Asking if your shure. Drives me nuts. But its the future.

Yeah I know those automated system drives me crazy. Like you said that is what make people get so uptight and rude because you have to jump through hoops to get to an actual breathing being. By the time you do get to speak to someone you are so heated already compounded by what you need to resolve makes it for a very intense situation, but i agree it is the future. I think it is sad.

Back