Why are my polyps dying?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sstainba

About a year ago I upgraded from a 75G to a 125G with dual built-in overflows. I have a bunch of polyps and mushrooms, 4 fish, some crabs and 3 anemones, a purple lobster, brittle star and a pink knobby cuc. There are of course a few other things swimming around, but these are the bulk.

When I upgraded to the 125, I upgraded lights a little bit as well. I have 2x150 MH 10000K and 1x250 140000K. (I'll probably soon go to 2x400 14000K or 20000K) I also got some new powerheads. I got the new Koralias with the magnetic base. There are 2 #3's and 1 #2.

I've noticed in the past few months (2 or 3) that some of the polyps and mushrooms are shrinking away. Every test I do on the water seems to be perfect and with minimal fluctuations. Although, there is some cyanobacteria growth I've been fighting for a while. Most recently I have added a small ozone generator to the mix with has seemingly caused a boom to the growth of coraline algae.

So basically, I'm trying to figure out why my polyps and shrooms are disappearing. Everything else seems to be doing great. I was wondering if maybe the flow rate was too high as these powerheads are heavy on the power. I'm also wondering if maybe the lighting is out of whack. Anyone have any ideas? The temp might be a tad high. It's about 81.5 which I'm about to drop to 78.

Too much light. Mushrooms of most species don't require a bunch of light. If flow and water chemistry is good then it could be the lights. Shorten the duration or intensity. By the sound of your specimens your anemones are the only inhabitants that require that much light.

Actually, I noticed today that some glove polyps that were higher up on the rocks were shrinking... but the ones that were lower and off to the side were doing better. So i moved them. I'll try to get the polyps lower. The mushrooms are mid-tank and seem to be doing pretty well. It's mainly the polyps that I've seen shrinking.

Although, there is some cyanobacteria growth I've been fighting for a while.

I too lost some polyps from cyano bacteria. I increased the flow (also with Korilla 3s), got a bigger return pump and added a spray bar, and added a refrigum with caeto. My cyano dispersed over the next month and my polyps are going crazy.

This next part might sound weird, but when I had badly covered polyps with cyano bacteria, I used an old Oral B sonic toothbrush (with a clean head) to gently scrub around the polyps in discarded water during my water changes. My polyps responded to this too and bounced back pretty fast.

I would consider 2 K3s and 1 K2 somewhat low flow for a 125. Is your tank 72" long? I have a 72 long AGA and I have 2 K4s (1200gph) and 1 Seio 1500, overall I have about 4700 gph flow including my returns. Cyano tends to only build up in some dead spots but dissipates within a few days or so. I have 2 250watt MH and plan to add a 3rd. I dont keep mushrooms (I have one that is doing great), all my zoas, yellow polyps, green polyps, etc are all doing great. FWIW try moving some things around to see if they prefer other lighting or flow than what they are receiving.

see, the koralias are putting out really high flow and they are blowing things all over the place.... so i pointed them a little towards the glass to deflect some of the flow. i was scared it was too much for the softies.

Hi,

I suffered the same fate with some mushrooms they shrunk turned whiteish and eventually disappeared, these lived at the bottom of the tank flow was moderate and lighting 2 foot down was not intense. Having watched these deteriate I was confused but then realised that my phosban reactor was switched of some time before owing to the fact I strugged to get it going again after some maintenance a gravity issue.
Concerned i approached my lfs erdington aquatics in Birmingham UK and was told that it was probably something to do with that and a phosphate problem.

Ahhh... yes, I figured there was a phosphate/silicate problem because of the bacteria. I suppose my RO membrane is dead. I'm probably going to make myself a phosphate and silicate reactor with some pvp and a spare pump. I just bought a new house, so the tank will be moving in the next 3 months. I'm going to make sure the new water is squeaky-clean. :)

Back