Why do my Zoo’s have really long tentacles/Skirts?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

A Brown

Hey all.
So my friends always make comments and ask “why are your Zoo’s tentacles/skirts are so long?” And I reply with “I no idea.” I buy them looking normal with short tentacles/skirts and in a few weeks they are long and flowing.
I have tried to find things on line, but came up short and did not know if anyone had the scoop. It is all the zoos, not just a few of them. I have a 55 gallon tank and a 48” Nova extreme pro TF high output light fixture. 3x54 watt daylight and 3x54 watt actinic’s. For flow Koralia 3 and Koralia 4.
Any one have any ideas? Not that it bugs me much but looks a little cooler when they have short tentacles and less blockage of the body/center.

-A Brown

Are you talking about Skirts or the middle tube or neck of the zoanthids? A picture would help a ton! I've noticed they usually stretch upwards and get elongated necks when they aren't receiving enough light but it sounds like your fixture is more than enough. Perhaps it's their location in the tank?

Thanks for replying MGDMIRAGE.
I will have to take some pictures when I get home. Think I am talking about the skirt? Example. The middle round disc is totally normal. But the tentacles that surround the polyp are and get very long.

This link to a picture is not one of my Zoo's (I wish though) but this is an example of how long the tentacles get.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=k1sb5i&s=3

-A

Alot people speculate that it has to do with flow.
I think it's other, but I don't don't know myself.
I have a buttload of flow in my zoanthid tank and my zoanthids seem to have normal lenght skirts.

Oh wow yeah those are some long skirts, they look healthy otherwise though. Honestly not sure what could cause that :( Zoanthids can be pretty mysterious sometimes.

Well, I had a used light with some old crusty MH bulbs and my zoas looked healthy and were spreading. I replaced the MH bulbs (which were in pretty bad shape, corroded, yellow light, etc.) and within a couple of days, the skirts of my zoas doubled or tripled in length.

So maybe it has to do with lights...

rob

although that anecdote about lights is interesting, i'd have to say its more about flow/water quality, zoos like dirtier water (stuff to catch from the water column) and so it would make sense that they would extend their tentacles (skirts) to try and catch things floating by

then again i have no evidence or anecdotes to back up my claims

Yea, I just assumed it was my lights that did it because of the timing. Could also be that my tank isn't that old and the water matured at about the same time or any number of other reasons. The lights might not have been causative

Rob

I have the same thing going on, people give my polyps and in my tank the poylps get HUGE along with the skirts

All interesting points. One of lifes many questions. Thank guys for your input. The tank is about 8 months old now. Started corals about 3-4 months ago.
hmmm.

I have read that is could be just about anything. the most convincing was that it is do to LOW flow. Trying to get more surface area to catch food and such in lower flow areas. It seems to be true for me. Example being I get a new frag with 2-3 polyps...short skirts. they get more flow since they are now crowded. They have same flow,z's,light,location in the tank over time they seem to get longer skirts...Less direct flow. I cut a frag set it right next to the same colony and the skirts shorten up on them. I have yet to but will try next a similar lighted area with next to no flow and see ehat happens. It will be tough to find in my tank...

Last edited:
Hey all.
So my friends always make comments and ask “why are your Zoo’s tentacles/skirts are so long?” And I reply with “I no idea.” I buy them looking normal with short tentacles/skirts and in a few weeks they are long and flowing.
I have tried to find things on line, but came up short and did not know if anyone had the scoop. It is all the zoos, not just a few of them. I have a 55 gallon tank and a 48” Nova extreme pro TF high output light fixture. 3x54 watt daylight and 3x54 watt actinic’s. For flow Koralia 3 and Koralia 4.
Any one have any ideas? Not that it bugs me much but looks a little cooler when they have short tentacles and less blockage of the body/center.

-A Brown

I thought I would bump an old thread instead of creating a new one on this topic.

There is an explainable reason for a dramatic or marginal increase in skirt/tentacle lenght. Pulsating Xenia will not pulse if tank parameters are out of whack. They are like a canary in a coal mine as they are a great indicator of water quality. I have never shared this, but I always kept a very small patch in the corner or my tank and gave pieces away when it grew. It served as a quick first alert indicator if you will, of potential issues which I might have missed otherwise. That said, there are several reasons why you'll have skirt/tentacle increases or elongations and I shared this many years ago on another site. Optimal and usually medium high to high random flow along with great lighting will cause this. I have seen it dozens of times. Lighting and high flow, but not necessarily spot on parameters as often there will be marginal growth, but the physical changes are dramatic. My friend Dan is a perfect example as every single colony in his tank, even the frags had skirt lenght as long as fake eyelashes. I'm talking so long, that when the current shifted fom left to right, the skirts would lay over the oral disc to such lenghts that they would touch the shirts on the opposite side of the polyp. This was the case of every single polyp in his 60 gallon system, hundreds of polyps. This guy had this tank dialed in perfectly with 4 return nozzle, one at each top corner of his tank, rotating current every 30 seconds. It was stunning to see a tank full of eyelashes shifting to a different direction every 30 seconds.

The second reason is this. In captivity, the morphology of every polyp we keep in captivity has the potential to physically change dramatically as a results of the tank variables/parameters we expose them to. I will go dig up the article by a very respected man in his field, that I read many years ago to support this if anyone wants to read it. This is but one of the reasons polyps can and will behave, thrive or perish in one system and not in another. I have owned several colonies identical to a friend of mine. Some of them had skirt lenght twice as long as the exact same morphs he own in his tank. Conversely, he had polyps in his tank which had skirts twice as long as the same morph in my tank, yet both were happy, thriving and healthy. As with growth, another topic we just discussed on another sight, the variables we impose upon our biotopes, are the sole predictors and determining factors in growth, coloration, appearance etc.

If your tentacles have increased in lenght, that's a good thing. I wouldn't make any changes or try to even understand it. Just except that fact that you indeed have the preverbial blue thumb and you are indeed doing something right. It's just that simple.

I will go and try to dig up the article and share it.

MUCHO REEF

Last edited:
interesting. I would have assumed that longer tentacles simply equals hungry coral ( light, food, flow), but you say happy coral? I have also heard one very respected persons opinion that pulsing zenia are supposed to NOT pulse if they are happy even though we all believe the former.

Are you referring to tentacles or the stalk?

I don't know of a single person who has ever purchased a pulse xenia because they didn't want it to pulse. As long as I had a piece of xenia in my tank or my fug that was pulsing like crazy, my tank was fine. If their is an oppsing belief or opinion, that's fine as well. That's the great thing about reefing, the ability to pick and choose what you wish to believe.

Mooch

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355684752.934976.jpg

When I got these they had short stalks. I mean reaching tall. Short skirts also.

These have the longest skirts I have seen in person.

I now have more than 4 different drags of these growing in 4 different zones of my tank and they all joe have long skirts.
I personally love the long skirt zoas.

If your zoas are growing lengthwise I've heard they are reaching for light.

All good information mucho thanks again

I have a rock covered in polyp and they have really long skirts and I was told by a fellow reefer it was because I had them in a high current area.

Here's a pic of my clown hosting in them.

IMG_20120703_154623.jpg

Polyps which seem to reach vertical CAN be as a result of the need for more light, but not always. In fact, in my opinion, often it isn't the cause for polyp elongation. What we see physically in our tanks isn't always what the polyps looked like when and if they were harvested from the wild. Zoanthids and Palythoas alike in captivity can possible change their morphology, ( their size, color, shape, stalk lenght and even their striations, specks and pigment ) in captivity. Not trying to sound like a big head here, but if someone doesn't know that, then they might lean towards saying it's always a lack of light. In fact, it’s also possible and sometimes happen if there is a sudden or planned increase in tank current will also illicit a polyp elongation temporarily or permanently. I have seen it many times. I mean the things we played with experimentally back in the day was crazy.

MUCHO REEF

PS, btw, when you say growing lenghtwise ( vertically ), you meant extending, right?

Are you referring to tentacles or the stalk?

I don't know of a single person who has ever purchased a pulse xenia because they didn't want it to pulse. As long as I had a piece of xenia in my tank or my fug that was pulsing like crazy, my tank was fine. If their is an oppsing belief or opinion, that's fine as well. That's the great thing about reefing, the ability to pick and choose what you wish to believe.

Mooch

sorry to use the term tentacle loosley. and I do agree about the zenia as I have an amazing healthy mass of over 100 isolated on a 18inch long single piece of tonga branch that sticks out in the middle of my softy tank. would'nt dream of putting em in my sps tank though!

I once read a convincing arguement that RBTA only have bubble tips when the are in need of light. thae fact that they are bubbled up is becuase the want to increase their surface area and hence light exposure. but i have a 16 inch rbta that has recenlty moved to a back corner away from nearly all light right after I changed mh and vho bulbs and he is in no way bubbling up in search of light. ( gonna move him soon if he doesn't figure it out).

I guess I just enjoyed your opinion that all is well. only been in this for 1.5 years but have good backround in fw and breeding fish and do much research. now that all the nerves are gone and I am confident that I know what I am doing....and seeing many others tank that are not nearly as well kept as mine but are successful. I am qiuckly coming to the opinion that corals in general are a hardy bunch that tolerate much, and when sometimes they die it has nothing to do with what we could have done better....and sometimes they thrive, and its no credit to us.

Back