Why use Starboard for Barebottoms?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

taichimaster

first of all. I never went this route but wanted a little more information.

what is starboard?
where can I get some?
why use it on barebottom tanks?
How many are using it?

I never used it either but do know a few folks using it. It is so they can put pegs on the starbnoard to keep the rock work elevated from the bottom for better flow under the rock work and of course to protect the bottom from possible rock avalanches.

I am using it in my BB tank. I got it from Tap Plastics. They can cut it to exact size you need. It's not cheap, but not super expensive either...different thickness will make it more or less expensive.

I didn't drill any holes into it for pegs, etc. I used to to protect the bottom and also because I think it looks better than just bare glass.

HTH,

Rob

Starboard is a HDPE (high density polyethylene) white plastic sheet that comes in various thicknesses. It is more that standard material because of its UV resistivity. Very easy to work with, machine, etc but don't try to bond to it. Any PE or PP material is difficult to bond and won't last. Drilling into and installing acrylic pegs can be quite effective for supporting rockwork and holding them up off your sand bed and it is great protection for the BB glass as Roscoe says.

Now that i think about it. I have 2 8'x4' 1/2'' thick sheets I got from work. I don't know why I didn't use it on my 270g!!

Thanks for the pics. Looks great I think. I was planning to cut a piece of glass and paint it before laying it on the bottom, but this looks better.

hdpe is extremely strong as well and plyable (when heated). Several of us have built skid plates for under our rigs with this. It can hold the weight of our FJ's and allows the rig to slide rather than get high centered (all for 4x4, wheeling). It comes in black as well. This would not be a bad idea for a tank if you get a thinner sheet, as you can heat it up and shape it how you want.

Thanks for the pics. Looks great I think. I was planning to cut a piece of glass and paint it before laying it on the bottom, but this looks better.

I assume you are in Vancouver WA? Try calling Tap Plastics. They carry it.

2842 NE Sandy Blvd.
Portland, OR 97232

Open: Mon-Fri 8:30 to 6, Sat 9 to 5.

Phone: 503.230.0770

It's not cheap. I wish I had one of Roscoe's sheets!

Black would be pretty good as well...although I find with black it makes the tank look kind of gloomy especially if you have black background as well.

Thanks...actually I am in Vancouver BC but I go down to Seattle often as I have many friends there and I pick up supplies for my business down there as well. I was planning to contact Taps anyway for some acrylic pieces I needed so I will ask them about this stuff at the same time. Thanks for the suggestions.

I assume you are in Vancouver WA? Try calling Tap Plastics. They carry it.

2842 NE Sandy Blvd.
Portland, OR 97232

Open: Mon-Fri 8:30 to 6, Sat 9 to 5.

Phone: 503.230.0770

It's not cheap. I wish I had one of Roscoe's sheets!

hdpe is extremely strong as well and plyable (when heated). Several of us have built skid plates for under our rigs with this. It can hold the weight of our FJ's and allows the rig to slide rather than get high centered (all for 4x4, wheeling). It comes in black as well. This would not be a bad idea for a tank if you get a thinner sheet, as you can heat it up and shape it how you want.

FWIW... Our Navy uses an even higher grade material UHMW, Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene on the well decks that support the amphib class boats. Just for fun... I offer a couple of cool pics! This stuff is black, over 2in thick with a non slip surface.

FWIW... Our Navy uses an even higher grade material UHMW, Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene on the well decks that support the amphib class boats. Just for fun... I offer a couple of cool pics! This stuff is black, over 2in thick with a non slip surface.

Nice pics, I have heard great things of that stuff but have never used it personally (yet :)).

Would anyone use it on an acrylic tank?

Sure no problem... if you are looking for a white BB or just want some added protection against rock falls. If you don't think you need the protection then you could just paint the bottom outside white for less cost and probably achieve similar effect without trapping detritus in the gaps and underneath.

It is used to spread or cushion the weight of the rocks across the bottom of your tank so you so not have a single point of pressure which could cause the bottom to split and or crack.

Most people just use an extra piece of glass or acrylic that is siliconed or glued in random places. If you do not have that option or want to save on price is to use the create material that people make frag racks out of.

I have never used starboard but I have seen a few people use both black and white. In the beginning White looks better and you get the light reflection from MH. Once you get your Coraline algae growing on it the color does not really matter. Remember to get a solid coat of Coraline on it can take years.

Of the people that have used it swear by it, and love it. I am thinking of using it if I set up a larger tank.

i think people use it to avoid the high nitrates that deitrus on sand can cause...I also believe it is a personal preference...personally, I dont like a BB tank and like a DSB with jawfish or sand sifting gobies

Does it sit flat on the bottom when you lay it down or am I going to get a lot of stuff trapped under there all the time? What thickness should I be using? I've tried painting the bottom of the tank from the outside before. Doesn't really work as well as I thought as I find the bottom glass very reflective and doesn't look appealing to me. Thats just my personal taste though.

Back