Will my ocelaris host a bubble tip

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mine took a good 6 months before than even recognized that the BTA was good, now they would be lost without one. I have had my GBTA for a year or more, about 8 inches across, I recently, 2 months ago introduced a small RBTA within 4 inches of the green and my clowns could care less of the RBTA. They are a breeding pair

Kewl I guess Ill have 2 anemones to choose from now rather than just a gbta I like the look of the rbta a little more though but it don't matter long as there both healthy

Did you wake up one day and they were just hosting it???

I think what people tend to forget is that many of the ocellaris that are available today are not wild caught. They were born in an aquarium environment and have never seen an anemone let alone what to do with it. I'm sure that they have instinct to go to it eventually but I wouldn't expect them to go right away.
My ocellaris took close to a year to host with my anemone and now will defend it from anything including my hand ;)

Also, one theory that I have heard and believe to be true is that bubble tips create the bubble tips when they feel threatened. This is done to protect the vital organs from damage, like a human that goes into a fetal position. I know my RBTA's do this during cuttings, then the tentacles go back to non bubbled after a day or two.

I think what people tend to forget is that many of the ocellaris that are available today are not wild caught. They were born in an aquarium environment and have never seen an anemone let alone what to do with it. I'm sure that they have instinct to go to it eventually but I wouldn't expect them to go right away.
My ocellaris took close to a year to host with my anemone and now will defend it from anything including my hand ;)

Also, one theory that I have heard and believe to be true is that bubble tips create the bubble tips when they feel threatened. This is done to protect the vital organs from damage, like a human that goes into a fetal position. I know my RBTA's do this during cuttings, then the tentacles go back to non bubbled after a day or two.

that sucks i think they look so much better bubbled out than they do regular ya know

oh well as long as they get hosted i guess its what ever thats good for my clowns makes me happy!!!

Back