Woodwork: Reactor Cabinet

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sherman

Has Met Willis
For quite a while, my calcium and kalk reactors have been sitting out in the open, next to the tank. While "WE" all recognize how cool it is to look at shiny acrylic, not everyone appreciates this as much as us. Additionally, I now have a 9 month old, getting ready to start wandering the house, so I needed all that plumbing out of reach. So a cabinet was the way to go. Of course, I couldn't find one that matched our furniture and met my needs, so I had to build one. This seemed a little daunting, since I don't have any woodworking experience. However, our whole house is Mission/Arts&Crafts style, which is extremely simple furniture, so I was able to "see it" in my head, and took a shot at it. While I did all the labor, I had a friend help me with details he saw me miss as I went along. I also used all his tools :). So a trip down to Home Depot for a bunch of red oak stock, and I was on my way.

Here's the tank and reactors with the brand newly built cabinet.
cabinet+and+tank.jpg

The backside, now stained.
stainedcabinet1.jpg

The butcher block top. I debated this pretty heavily. I knew it would be a lot of work, but all my current (purchased) furniture has this same top. Once my friend reminded me that I'll only make this once, I decided to make it happen. It was definitely worth it, and my favorite part of the cabinet.
stainedcabinet2.jpg

So this afternoon, I finally installed it.
cabinet+installed.jpg

And put all the junk inside.
cabinet+inside.jpg

Very nice. Everything fits!

I am also impressed at how well you got the two cabinets to match. Good job. ;)

Everything fits... you know.. I *DID* measure first. :) Seriously, thanks for the compliments.

As for the matching furniture, that was easy. I bought the stand (formerly a corner unit TV cabinet) unfinished, and finished it myself, so I pretty much knew exactly what kind of stain to use. :)

Someday, I hope to upgrade to around a 150g tank. I'll probably have to build my own tank stand for that, and it will have this same look. You might notice the reactor cabinet is just a little overbuilt. This was planned, because someday I hope to put a seahorse refugium on top of it, next to the big tank.

Looks great Jason! You did a really nice job for someone who is a carpenter by profession much less a person who's never really built anything before. Great job:)

sure glad someone knows what they are doing when it comes to these wood working projects LOL, I need a carpenter:D

Thanks for the comments, guys. As I mentioned, Mission Style furniture is extremely simple, so there wasn't as much expertise needed here. Notice the build is nothing but straight lines and 90 degree angles. 90% of this was built on a table saw alone. The biggest "cool" tool was the planer. I ran every single board through it to assure uniform squareness and size. And the butcher-block top would have been impossible without a planer.

A planer in your workshop takes you to the next level!!! Constant thickness flat boards are guaranteed. Along with a finely tuned table saw you can do wonderful work. Mission style is great for beginner/intermediate woodworders. It is only when you get into curves that you need 'invest' in a band saw... something I have always wanted but haven't pulled the trigger on.

Tigger, I used Minwax "Red Oak" stain, and the entire project was made from Red Oak, bought from Home Depot. I used 1x2, 1x3, 1x4" strips. I also used a sheet of 3/4" Oak plywood for the inside bottom. The main legs (corners) are two 1x3" glued together to make a 2x3. All the pieces were dadoed for the 1/4" oak veneer plywood that makes up the inner panels in the doors, sides and back. The top was a bunch of 1x4" pieces ripped to 1" lengths, then glued together and clamped really well. Once they dried, I ran the whole top through a planer together to flatten it out. All 100% Home Depot red oak strips and Minwax "Red Oak" stain. I finished it off with Verathane semi-gloss water based clearcoat (rattle can/aerosol version).

Oh, yeah, there were biscuits ALL OVER this thing, but none in the butcher block top. The top is glue only.

Last edited:
Hey Tigger, I just saw your name somewhere else. In light of that, and in light of my original statement:
Sherman said:
I had a friend help me with details he saw me miss as I went along.
It's only fair I mention that you probably know this friend, Weatherson, also. :) I'm just fortunate enough to live within minutes of him, and be in the same club.

Back