would this tank design work

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

CJG

I just like everyone else has suffered the snow ball effect starting with a tiny 20 gallon to wanting something huge. I constantly think of ways to build new tanks. What i want to do is build a tank with only one side having either glass or acrylic, and the other three sides and bottom built out of concrete. If anybody has any helpful ideas on how this would work, please let me know. thanks a ton

You can do that, bit is thier any reason you would choose concrete over say fiberglass/epoxy??

Mike

No reason i wouldn't use fiberglass, i didn't even know that that was an option, please let me know what you think. Whats easier to work with, whats less expensive, stronger....etc.

CJG - I'm not sure how concrete would have to be sealed or what type of sealant you would have to use. There are some hobbyists that have also made DIY tanks out of wood, with the front being glass or acrylic.

i know a lady in spokane who has a 2000g tank, 1 ft. concrete on sides and 2 ft. on bottom. a 3 inch peice of acrylic for the front, it took them about 3 tries before they got the puppy to seal right!
unless your planning a grossly huge tank i would say there are definately better ways to build a tank, as mojo and nikki said, fiberglass or wood would probably be much better. how big you talkin?

I'm thinking maybe 1500, i'm not sure what to build it out of yet, all options are still open, wood, concrete, or fiberglass, i just don't know.

Yea with a 1500 gallon you might be better off with the concrete then. The reason I suggested the other was in regards to plmbing and so on, you have to have the plan together prior to the pour. Do a search for concrete on this forum and it should give you a list of concrete types and sealents you should use in building it. Again though the plumbing plan is very important to get right prior to moving forward.

Give us an idea where it is going to go and what the over all plan is.

Mike

So far the tank is going in the basement. theres no other place it could be put due to the wieght, so that creates an easy decision. I have a 9400 dolphin pump to run on it. I'm not quite sure how i want to do the plumbing yet, that is really going to take some thought. Do any of you know how i would go about having wholes in a tank of concrete. Also, what kind of concrete did that women in spokane use.

Thanks, cody

I would say the best way to plumb the tank, would be to put PVC in the frame before you pour your concrete...

thats exactly how i thought i should do it, I was worried that once the concrete hardened though that the pvc would break or crack, or am i just imagining that.

It's slightly possible that pvc could break or crack, but probably not too likely, especially if you cut it close to the concrete after it is poured, and then put a smaller pipe into in, sortof like a bulkhead.

Hey everybody, I didnt' forget about my plan but i had other stuff to deal with, but now i'm back. The demensions look like so far about 9 feet long, 7 feet wide and 3 feet tall.

Man i just cant imagine a tank this large? Is this going to be on the ground? How would the viewing be?

Yes, in the basement on the ground. Thats why i want it 3 ft high becuse if there is 1 or 2ft of concrete on the bottom then i think the view would be perfect.

Oh definetly. I love sharks and stingrays Black tips and blue spots, ever since i was a little kid. Theres nothing else that i would want more, If i wanted anything else i would get a smaller tank, because only something like sharks would need a tank this size. And this is still too small.

The bamboo sharks and some of the catsharks would do fine in a setup such as this. The blue spot gets to be four feet across so this would probably not work in the long run. Scott Michael has an excellent book on sharks and rays with recomendations for captivity.

Ya, i know about the book, i actually already ordered on amazon, it should be coming soon. Got any more advise or tips about building that sucker

This has been dead for a looooooooooooooonnnnnngggg time but i'm just curious if you ever finished it or even got started? Do you have any pics?

Nick

Back