xenia fading away

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

one thing you might want to try is see if your over skimming
seems that xenia like nutrients in the water.
as per temperature goes.lights off tank is at 81 degrees and when lights are on.temp goes upto 85 degrees..i dont dose anything at all except for some calcium
and i do use a reactor,now i have found they do like alot of current,and bright light.

vic

i agree with swissgaurd.
my xenias were always fading away from time to time and i found the problem which was the light bulb.
i used to use a Hamiltom blue 75 10k MH bulb and i never saw them pulsing, once i changed my light bulb for a Ushio 175 14k white light bulb, trust me they were not only pulsing but reproducing really fast.
the first ones i had used to shrink like that every time the temp would go up to 82 :(

actually... I hear this question a lot (WWM, RC, etc):

most commonly... it is a flat pH and/or Alk that is contributing. Too many aquarists accept pH of 8.1 or lower as "good" and Alk falling to 8dKH or lower as also "OK"

I'm guessing your pH at night falls well below 8.3

If so... a bad habit for some corals like Xeniids. They can be very sensitive to this. Many corals are not.

My advice for reef tanks in general is 8.3 minimum (night) and 8.6 (day) pH range.

Raise your pH for a solid 2 weeks (be consistent! daily buffer and/or kalk to assist) and you will find that Xenia responds favorably in most cases.

kindly,

Anthony

Back