XM 15k's are now available

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yea bit Boomer so much of that light is wasted or unusable?? plus I just cant stand the color. Myself I perfer to bombard the corals with blue and violet to get the strong pigments coming out of the coral. I take a bit of a hit for sure on par/growth. That is why I was hoping the 15K's had a decent par rating, or at least better then the radiums. That and I was getting tired of Sanjay calling my tank the "pappa smurph tank" lol

Mike

Yah I agree the color appearance sucks but you can always sup it ;) I"ll bet the corals grow faster and better under that light so how could it be wasted :D Wasted, Ok, you must mean to much PAR :lol:. I know, I know colored corals like yours are cooler to look at for sure.

Way back when they first came out I used to run them, and supped them up like crasy but still couldnt get past the color the tank looked and the colors of the corals. Your right on with the growth though, although 10K's do come pretty close

Mike

Now you've got me thinking of switching back to 10k XM SE bulb. I haven't had a problem with that bulb, either. In fact, I switched from 10k to 15k XM SE, when it was time to change the 10k bulb.

Aye..... LOL

- Elmo

i'm interested to buy the light meter apogee meter? would you(anyone),,reccommend which one will be the best bang for the bug.

Last edited:
An Apogee meter more or less measures all the light, in regards to photosynthesis, PAR and a light meter measures "observed light intensity", what YOU see. These are used for testing lighting in buildings, hallways, parking lots, offices, flashlights and aquariums....etc... They measure light in LUX or foot candles

Last edited:
mojoreef said:
Redeye The ac seems to have a bit more more par then the radium 147 to 170 in the 400 watter. Spikes look pretty close, looks like thiers more violet/uv in the AC, that might have some neat results. Have you run the 14 k's yet??

Mike

Mojo,

I have had the XM 15K & AC 14K burning for a few days now. To my eye the AC is a little more blue (I like a little blue) then the XM 15K but the XM looks great, not very blue and not yellow either, just a good light. Presonally I like the AC14K look better, I even like the EVC 14K that I've been running for a few months now. I'll test them after I have a week on them.

I just got the new Coralvue Reeflux and CV 14K from Kevin to try out. I hope to start burning them in this week.

I love Radiums too and also trying to get away from the Smurf look. The SPS color is just so good under them and the slow growth is a bonus for me. I still have a few more bulbs to test but I'm leaning my final choice toward AC14K's if I can stomach the $$$ or the EVC 14K.

Yeaa I like the blue look to, and its tough to complain about the colors of the corals. I swapped out one of my ballasts (the 250 watt hqi) for a dual 400 watt hqi, to get a little more par out of the radiums.

Mike

mojoreef said:
Yeaa I like the blue look to, and its tough to complain about the colors of the corals. I swapped out one of my ballasts (the 250 watt hqi) for a dual 400 watt hqi, to get a little more par out of the radiums.

Mike

You can always substitute low Par bulb with more power:D

Boomer,

I apologize to dig this thread from the grave. I just want to ask you about your light meter. So is this considered LUX meter? or PAR meter?

If Lux meter, then can it really tell the diff between a new bulb and an old bilb? Let say 10 month old bulb.

The reason for asking is I want to buy a meter that will tell me that my light has this reading new and this reading down the road.

So i know when to replace it.

Thanks in advance.

Back