Yellow Tang fin Issue

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

steve - no i did not do a water change. i know it sounds ignorant but i didnj't have time w/ work to do a water change. i do have water made up for this weekend though.

ahh i see on the water change aspect and DOC. and like you said it can't hurt anywho

what premedicated food do you recommend? anywhere online you can get some i'd be interested to feed it once in a while to ensure health.

i'm keeping the window cracked even when it is single digits outside. any thing i can do to get fresh air in the better. the top of my aquarium and sump and fuge are all open. i use fans to cool the tank and help move fresh air over the water surface. i've been thinking i should rig up a hose to get fresh air into my skimmer venturi...but i'm wondering how much that would help?

i feed teh fish/tang homemade DIY food. usually has PE mysis, enriched brine, fresh shrimp and mussles from the grocery store, cyclopeeze, and some zoe in it. also i feed some nori everyday that is soaked in garlic and zoe (right now). anything you see wrong or right?

yeah...we all know we need a QT but you try to tell eh wife that :D once we move i'll have a 20H set up at all times for QT. right now i'm gonna have to limp by. she said if i take over anymore room it's a gonner...so better not push my luck

thanks!
Lunchbucket

i feed teh fish/tang homemade DIY food. usually has PE mysis, enriched brine, fresh shrimp and mussles from the grocery store, cyclopeeze, and some zoe in it. also i feed some nori everyday that is soaked in garlic and zoe (right now). anything you see wrong or right?
it needs more veggie based food and less meaty foods..
i'm keeping the window cracked even when it is single digits outside. any thing i can do to get fresh air in the better. the top of my aquarium and sump and fuge are all open. i use fans to cool the tank and help move fresh air over the water surface
i love this weather!!! i open the back door several times a day and let fresh air flow in..sometimes,i leave the door open for 10-15 min with a fan blowing the outdoor air into the house...it's in the 20's right no, so i only leave it open for a couple min...
yeah...we all know we need a QT but you try to tell eh wife that once we move i'll have a 20H set up at all times for QT. right now i'm gonna have to limp by. she said if i take over anymore room it's a gonner...so better not push my luck
that just happened to me tonight!!! just ask Bob(reefdaddy1)!! i was talking to him when Kimmy came home and saw my new qt tank with fish in it:eek: ..she was unhappy ,to say the least:D

Ronj,
He's feeding Nori soaked in garlic and Zoe daily, in addition to the other stuff...
How much more veggie based stuff do you suggest?
;)

Nick

its' staple foods need to be veggie based...i feed mine some meatier foods, but only once a week , as a treat:)

Yellow Tangs

Ok mate I am Chopsie junior we got A Yellow Tang I didont know you were you were supossed to give Tangs meaty food I thought they veges.
Got any tips.:idea:

Last edited:
Yellow Tangs

Ok mate I am Chopsie junior we got A Yellow Tang I didont know you were supossed to give Tangs meaty food I thought they were veges.
Got any tips.:idea:

Ronj - basically teh DIY food is for the clowns, royal gramma, 6-line, and everyone else...but he eats it too. it' isn't specifically for him...that is what the nori is for. so if i give him some nori everyday...whatelse am i supposed to feed him?? i usually put it in the tank at about 2pm when the lights come on adn keep some in there till the lights go out.

i'll try to sneak the window open for 10-15min when the wife is sleeping or when she isn't home. otherwise she'll freeze tonight.

thanks
Lunchbucket

what premedicated food do you recommend? anywhere online you can get some i'd be interested to feed it once in a while to ensure health.
Thankfully, this is a one time treatment usually. Internal worms are easily beaten. Either search for a seller of Jungle Labs foods or Gel Tek.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12794&N=2004+113017

i'm keeping the window cracked even when it is single digits outside. any thing i can do to get fresh air in the better. the top of my aquarium and sump and fuge are all open. i use fans to cool the tank and help move fresh air over the water surface. i've been thinking i should rig up a hose to get fresh air into my skimmer venturi...but i'm wondering how much that would help?
It really depends on where the problem is occurring. You need to first determine if the room is part of the CO2 problem or simply the tank. It's easy to blame the closed windows and most likely you'd be correct but I'd confirm that before doing a lot of work.
Take a cup of water from the tank and let it sit on the counter for an hour. If the pH rises, the problems in the tank.

3 areas you could improve. Nix the brine, it's a pointless addition, add either Zoecon or Selcon for fatty acids/lipids (vitamins and HUFA's need to be used) and be sure your mysis (FW) are actually mysids (SW). I would also really suggest adding broccoli florets into the clip once in awhile. They are a great veggie food and alternative to green nori. Nori is not a good all the time staple. Just be sure the broccoli floret is either cooked/steamed first or deep frozen to break down the fibers. The tang will not be able to digest it unless you do. Broccoli has been shown to help prevent MHLLE.

thanks for the links to the food. i'll try to get some

i'll try the cup of water on the counter thing. so why would the tank ahve a pH problem?

i usually don't add much brine if any. couldn't remember what i added this last time. i'll get some Zoecon or Selcon and try some out.

broccoli huh...hmm. how long should i steam it? till it's limp and no cruch? interesting thing to try.

thanks for all the great help
Lunchbucket

A healthy pH is somewhere around 8.2 as a low and 8.5 as a high. I really don't like seeing it dip below 8.0 at any time. The reason you are having a problem is most likely atmospheric CO2 but that will be determined when you do the test of removing water from the tank.

Steam the broccoli until there's no crunch but still firm enough to hold in the algae clip.

Back