Zoanthid IDs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I've never been good at the Zoanthid names. In the past, I really didn't care...lol. Now I'm starting to get curious so figured I'd post some of mine and hope for IDs. Thanks all.

#1.
2792129557_74a3a4865b_m.jpg

#2.
2792983558_12fa8e8dee_m.jpg

#3.
2501718363_729ebf3092_m.jpg

#4.
2792982660_64d891b849_m.jpg

do u want a scinetific name?? or do u want a common name becasue i have some of number 3 and i normally call them orange center green frills or zoas lol nah but seriously intrested in what u get back from this maybe ill post some of my zoas/paly for trippy/funny names

Slag, I've searched through zoaid, which is now coralpedia.com BTW. In fact, I'm a member of that site too. I do see some that look like mine....sort of....lol. Problem is, I can't seem to nail down a consistent name for the ones I see.
For instance, #3, I see called Green Dragon Eyes or Nuclear Greens, however, I see others called Green Dragon Eyes or Nuclear Greens that look different...lol. I'll keep trying though, thanks.

Last edited:
Yes that is part of the problem with identification of corals is it all looks different in everyone's tank. :eek:

I vote pick whichever name is closest that will give you the best resale value :) and be sure to send some my way when they start sloughing off - I've got some floating around my tank I can throw your way as well -

I vote the red ones with the blue centers are Fire & Ice - they look just like the ones I got from Tracy

Yeah - totally the ones in #5 I'd guess are Fire & Ice - I'll send ya a PM with some other notes :badgrin:

Finn, I knew I could count on you....lol. Do you mean #6 instead of #7? 6 refers to the right hand rock. 7 refers to the dull blue/gray ones that are in front of #6 rock and more of 7 visible in second photo related to 6 and 7. #6 are the ones that have kind of green skirts, blue inner with a pink/red center.

#6 far right or #7 center. Green skirt with blue and yellow/orange. I think are Blow Pops in the link.

Yep, we're talking about the same ones. After following your link, as well as doing a google search for Blowpops, I tend to agree. Thanks!! In the same research, I found Radioactive Dragon Eyes that look exactly like mine...and RDEs that look NOTHING like mine...lol. I think I'll go with them as an ID though. 2 more IDs down....Thanks Finn!!

Hmmm found something interesting on one rock yesterday. The rock that has Fire and Ice on one half and Eagle Eyes on the other half. I noticed 4-6 zoanthids that seemed to have dying skirts...almost the color of aiptasia...which is how I noticed them..lol. Thought it was aiptasia in the middle of the rock. As I examined them, I noticed that skirts were a gray/purple color. The "eyes" are a deep purple with a green slit for a mouth!! Ya know, I think they're PPEs!! I'll try to photograph them soon.

My question is, these are spread out in a small area, near the border of the eagle eyes and fire and ice. In my 5th pic, (1st pic of second post) if you look close, you can see the grayish skirts. Should I attempt to frag these few out and glue them to a plug? Should I let them go? Will the other 2 types overgrow them? Will they continue to spread amongst the others? If I wanted to frag them out, what's the best way to do this?? Again, I'll try to get better pics of them today!!

I noticed that skirts were a gray/purple color. The "eyes" are a deep purple with a green slit for a mouth!! Ya know, I think they're PPEs!!

Generally ppe's are on rocks by themselves and most are propagated. Haven't heard of any wild ones in many years.

They have very green skirts, purple to a brownish disk, with a very green slit in the center.

It's always cool to find some different colored zoanthids, that you didn't know you had, when you got the piece.
If you like the new ones, I'd try and break the rock with a chisel and hammer, as the others ( more dominate colors) will probably over grow them.
Definately need some pictures.

I'm going to try and use a scalpel to cut those particular ones as close to the rock as possible. Unfortunately, the others are very tightly packed around them. I'll do my best to cut the part of rock that they're on. I really want these on a separate plug. I'm thinking the skirt colors are actually being effected by the other type touching them.

Back