Zoas, Zoas, and more zoas! Oh and 2 clams.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Pico aquariums? Wheres that? How do you like the t31? I got mine on the 31st. Still learning how to use it. Lots to learn, but man the pictures are great! Now i just need to get a computer and internet at the house.

How do you like the kesils so far? I've thought about getting a few A350W for my 90. The tank is sweet BTW, got any frag packs for sale lol.

I've got an A350W over my 40 breeder frag tank.
Honestly, I would rate it as an adequate entry level LED light. Its not nearly as intense as a DIY unit I have over the same tank.
I'm much, much happier with my 1st Gen Radion's, (which are on sale for something like $550 per unit now at MD and PA....assuming they have any still in stock).
The A350W is easier to set up, but I'm unimpressed with the results overall. If you are determined to go with a Kessil for your 90 gallon, I would strongly suggest going with an A350 vs the A30W. I dont feel you're going to get the punch to go deep enough for your 90 gallon.

Not trying to derail the thread....

Beautiful tank and excellent work with your new camera....

Nick

Your lighting brings out good coloration to your corals and inverts. If you are seeing good growth as well I would consider that an LED success.

Very attractive tank.

Pico aquariums? Wheres that? How do you like the t31? I got mine on the 31st. Still learning how to use it. Lots to learn, but man the pictures are great! Now i just need to get a computer and internet at the house.

Pico Aquariums is an online vendor. I enjoy the T3i although I bought it for my wife and I rarely get to touch it.

I've got an A350W over my 40 breeder frag tank.
Honestly, I would rate it as an adequate entry level LED light. Its not nearly as intense as a DIY unit I have over the same tank.
I'm much, much happier with my 1st Gen Radion's, (which are on sale for something like $550 per unit now at MD and PA....assuming they have any still in stock).
The A350W is easier to set up, but I'm unimpressed with the results overall. If you are determined to go with a Kessil for your 90 gallon, I would strongly suggest going with an A350 vs the A30W. I dont feel you're going to get the punch to go deep enough for your 90 gallon.

Not trying to derail the thread....

Beautiful tank and excellent work with your new camera....

Nick

I think the Kessils are great. While you are right they probably don't have as much punch over a spread they decimate other LEDs in about a 12inch radius. There is a reason they are called "PAR Cannons." haha.

Your lighting brings out good coloration to your corals and inverts. If you are seeing good growth as well I would consider that an LED success.

Very attractive tank.

Thank you.

where do you get the tank from? custom build?

I made it from scratch myself. Just finished another 2.7 gallon freshwater tank for my wife. Next is a 3 gallon Dwarf Seahorse tank.

Waooo looks nice!! This is the first I've seen a reef tank with black substrate!

Thanks. I've been using black sand in my reef tanks for a few years. Love how it makes corals look.

To update I am switching lighting. Not because the Kessils aren't performing(they are exceeding expectations) but because I wanna experiment. I got a great deal on 2 AI Nanos so I am going to use them. The wife likes the way the look over the tank better since the tank is in the kitchen and she is the boss. I'll update pictures soon.

AI light mount I made.

IMG_0998_zps7f864026.jpg

IMG_0975_zpsc4dd5a2b.jpg

IMG_0969_zps861189df.jpg

IMG_0993_zps7e29dd39.jpg

IMG_0970_zps9db2df78.jpg

I think the Kessils are great. While you are right they probably don't have as much punch over a spread they decimate other LEDs in about a 12inch radius. There is a reason they are called "PAR Cannons." haha.
To update I am switching lighting. Not because the Kessils aren't performing(they are exceeding expectations) but because I wanna experiment. I got a great deal on 2 AI Nanos so I am going to use them. The wife likes the way the look over the tank better since the tank is in the kitchen and she is the boss. I'll update pictures soon.

I should have phrased my post differently....
I like the Kessil's but they are much different than the other LED lights I've played with.
Kessil A150's are similar to the A350's in terms of light spread. I have an A350W which has a wider spread of light than either the A150 or the A350.
They put out a nice light, and the A350W with both channels, (white and blue) at 100% have the best "look" of any LED I've seen. The color looks very, very close to a Hamilton 14K MH on a non HQI ballast. It looks very much like a MH in terms of glitter lines...there is no "Disco ball" effect that you get with every other LED light that has a different lens for each LED. Due to the Kessil's design of a multi array chip and a single lens, you effectively have a single point source of light. That's nice.
I wouuldnt refer to Kessil's as a PAR Cannon, there are other lights that I think fit the bill a bit better in that regard. IIRC the A150's and the A350's have about a 30 degree or so angle for their light pattern. The A350W has a 70 degree light spread so its light is not focused over such a small area.

Its basic in features in that its either on or off....no ramping up, although you can manually adjust the intensity level of the light. This is actually more user friendly than the MH's I used for many many years which were also on or off....no in between. To adjust the intensity of the MH's you got to either move the fixture away from the tank, or used window screen to block some of the light.

The Radions and the AI's use multiple LED's so you will have some of the "Disco-ball" effect, but honestly, after awhile, you wont even notice it....
They will also produce more intesity than the A150's you've been using, but you can program them to ramp up or down in intensity.

I think you made a good choice with both the Kessil's and the AI's.

The new lights look nice!

Nick

I had to close my mouth with my hand to prevent myself from drooling on the keyboard. What an amazing tank you have! Can't wait to get my hands on the future tank I plan to dive into the saltwater world. Now if only the shrimp would breed faster!

I had to close my mouth with my hand to prevent myself from drooling on the keyboard. What an amazing tank you have! Can't wait to get my hands on the future tank I plan to dive into the saltwater world. Now if only the shrimp would breed faster!

haha thank you. I do love it. I've had 5 or 6 tanks and this is by far my favorite tank.

Back