15 gallons of awesome.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

This looks sweet in person let me know what you think. The left side I really love and can't really capture all the cool nooks and crannies it has.

IMG_96751280x769_zps31380193.jpg

Left Side:

IMG_96781280x853_zps78af8d48.jpg

Right Side:

IMG_96791280x853_zps62ff4fd3.jpg

Both sides look good to me! Everything looks so clean and tidy, not cluttered with equipment. When you did the fresh water test, do you think you will have enough flow without power heads? That would be nice if you can keep it uncluttered...just a little slice of ocean!

Nope I'm gonna need some more flow, i'm going to get two Koralia nano 425s and try and hide them and have them on a wavemaker. I'd like to keep it as clean as possible.

The trim is generally a structural part of the tank when you are dealing with thin glass like that. I wouldn't run it without the trim personally.

The trim is generally a structural part of the tank when you are dealing with thin glass like that. I wouldn't run it without the trim personally.

Well aware, 15 gallon tanks have thicker glass and I don't see any bowing. I see far more bowing on my 40B which has the plastic(40Bs only use 1/4" glass which I think is far too thin. 15s and 20 longs are alright without a rim I don't recommend any others be de-rimmed. Consider that this glass is a hair thinner than 1/4" and a factory rimless tank the solana uses 1/4" and is 20" tall and only 4" shorter. Black plastic in general provides almost no added strength as I have measured the differences in the past. A center brace is about the only real useful brace, along with euro bracing.

Well aware, 15 gallon tanks have thicker glass and I don't see any bowing. I see far more bowing on my 40B which has the plastic(40Bs only use 1/4" glass which I think is far too thin. 15s and 20 longs are alright without a rim I don't recommend any others be de-rimmed. Consider that this glass is a hair thinner than 1/4" and a factory rimless tank the solana uses 1/4" and is 20" tall and only 4" shorter. Black plastic in general provides almost no added strength as I have measured the differences in the past. A center brace is about the only real useful brace, along with euro bracing.

I agree the small tanks have a fraction of the pressure on them compared to the larger than 20s.
IMO you will be just fine. Just be careful not to hit the exposed glass rim with anything hard and heavy!!! LOL

Anything over 12" tall and 1/4" or less glass I would not fully trust rimless, long term anyway. Although I had a 29 gallon that the top plastic was cracked and broke so I removed it and the tank ran for 3 years like that until i took it down. 29s are 30" long 12" front to back and 18" tall or so with 1/4" or less glass, pretty crazy.

Changed scape a bit because I love arches and I added a few zoanthids and a patch of Green Star Plague. I also added a fish today, a Pearly Jawfish but the jerk made a nice burrow at the back of the tank :(

IMG_96941280x695_zps692d0193.jpg

IMG_96991280x853_zps01e6c212.jpg

IMG_96971280x853_zpsd89d0cf3.jpg

IMG_96961280x853_zpsf46fb876.jpg

Back