1guydude 300g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey D, I'm a little confused on the two sump design. Are the two going to be hooked together in any way so they can equalize? Or, will they work independently with separate return pumps and not hooked together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im sorry. It is confusing with all my posts and ramble. lol

Two seperate sumps with seperate returns and drains but same overflow.
One will house mechanical filters like my skimmers and reactor and return pump. The other will be for LR pieces.

I think its set up so far pretty easy for the sump swap in the future.
hopefully today i can run by mclendons and get the last of what i hopefully will need. I do need another strainer all the way from OBD...
-d

*NOTE this will be just for water testing. I still need a canopy box hood and rail for my lights to sit on top of that.
Than ill be coral ready me thinks.
:)
-d

Two seperate sumps with seperate returns and drains but same overflow.
One will house mechanical filters like my skimmers and reactor and return pump. The other will be for LR pieces.

-d

I don't know if that is going to work Devin. Have you seen a system like what you are proposing before?
I guess a long freshwater test will tell, one way or the other.

I'm confused too, but that happens sooooooo easily. :) Mike has reviewed it though, right? I know he was working through this with you a little...
If you want, I have a 1 inch glass bit that should have at least 2 holes left in it.. if you want to try to connect the sumps that is. put one on a milk crate, have it drain into the other even... If you want it, lmk when you are heading to obd, I'll meet ya.

No i havent seen any system run 2 sumps equally like i am trying. Most have one after the other or one draining down into another.

Im with u all. Idk if it will work either. I will do ny best to balance it and such.

@spiezak. 2 sumps with 2 return pumps. Both have seperate returns and drains. Same overflow. Thanks but im not gonna screw em together. If this dosent work temporarily, ill wait and get a right sized sump.
D

I think two separate sumps your looking at a big mess as soon as something goes wrong. Even with DC pumps tuned so that they are returning exactly the same amount of water what happens if one fails? Or some ditrius or something obstructs the return and you get out of sync? I'm running two return pumps for redundancy but in one sump. Each pump is on a separate circuit so if the GFCI flips on one the other should keep flow going. Currently I only have one heater running on the first circuit and plan on adding a second heater set to run on a different temp probe and set slightly lower than the other also for redundancy.

Man Devin, that sounds like it will be near impossible to deal with if a single piece fails.... Like if one or the other sumps can't get or return water, it seems like you could have a real disaster on your hands... If you are overly worried about the fish in the rubber maid, you can always fill the tank to just the bottom of the overflow, throw them in and manage it like a fowler until your ready....
Are you still going to run the external skimmer? I have a 60 gallon glass tank that I could probably be talked out of if you really needed it for a sump. Basically the footprint of a 55 but taller. I'd just sure hate to see this start out poorly for you, I mean, I know how much hard work goes into finally getting that dream tank...

I agree if you want to get your fish in the display just run it w/o the sump until you can get it setup the way you want.

I kno i kno. I agree with u seattlereef, spiezak, peppie, and mfinn.
I have the nice toilet flap check valves but if 1 of my pump dies. Im SOL.
I may try the temporary tank with filled up half way to the CL drain...
Thxs spiezak but the 55g and 60g arent wide enough for 1 of my skimmers.
D

Im icks naying the two sump idea.
No refugium until my new fancy big boy sump.
Till than i will use the 1 larger one i have.

According to the rc calculator i used. 1" drained down on my 60"×48" will be 12.5g. I should have enough room in my sump for that after shutting down the pump.
D

Im icks naying the two sump idea.
No refugium until my new fancy big boy sump.
Till than i will use the 1 larger one i have.

According to the rc calculator i used. 1" drained down on my 60"×48" will be 12.5g. I should have enough room in my sump for that after shutting down the pump.
D

I think that's a good idea.
Just too many things to go wrong trying to go with the previous plan.

Had to read it from seattlereef for myself i guess. Idk everyone said even mojo....
Well, returned $125 in stuff today at mclendons to get $127 in stuff. Lol
Just need a lil stand pipe and some pvc clear glue.
Gonna wipe down all the plumbing with acetone prior to glue job.
Also.mark it all up.
D

Back