1guydude 300g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lifereef products and the guy running it are awsome!
...sump was made by local guy here on rfs. Peppie.
My hood is gonna be taken apart. Guess ill try and make a new.one with 2x4s in the corners. The 1x2s put together are just to wobbly and sketchy.
Pix maybe this weekend of.some more work and progress.
Cpl more trips to mclendons and days of work ahead.
It will all be worth it in the end ppl. Ive had a taste of wats to come....cant wait!
-d

Lots of silicone LOL you don't want water on the floor!:bump2:

Progress is looking good, I always enjoy a new build, especially since I don't have to pay for it or do the work myself!!:drum:

My hood is gonna be taken apart. Guess ill try and make a new.one with 2x4s in the corners. The 1x2s put together are just to wobbly and sketchy.

-d

Have you considered aluminum? 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" angle bolted together would make a fairly sturdy frame without the weight of 2x4's.

What about rust mfinn?
... lol thx scooter. Lots of work and $ indeed.
D

aluminum doesn't rust. You can get a little corrosion, but that can be treated with stuff like a little light oil, or even paint.
I think there were a few guys in the north end that used raw aluminum above their tanks for light brackets and such.

aluminum doesn't rust. You can get a little corrosion, but that can be treated with stuff like a little light oil, or even paint.
I think there were a few guys in the north end that used raw aluminum above their tanks for light brackets and such.

The frame on Todd's LED array was raw aluminum. I don't recall him having any issues with corrosion.
I have two pieces of raw aluminum bar stock connecting my LED lights. They are about 9" above the water and show no sign of corrosion.

The frame on Todd's LED array was raw aluminum. I don't recall him having any issues with corrosion.
I have two pieces of raw aluminum bar stock connecting my LED lights. They are about 9" above the water and show no sign of corrosion.

I think it was Todd that told me about using some sort of light oil.
Maybe vegetable oil?

I agree aluminum dosent really rust. Prob especially if i put a light coat.of anti corrosive grease or oil or similiar on it...
Would be nice to have an aluminum frame bolted.together like.u say mfinn and than skin with wood and use those cpl pieces of bosch aluminum up there as well.
Be really nice to get it hung up.from my cieling and have a floating box above the tank.
D

That would b ideal. Didnt think of the weight of the 4 2x4s in the corners... even if they are only like 14-18" tall
D

No.... lol :/
Hopefully this friday or early this weekend i can get an update on here bud....till than, not a lot happening.
D

^sorry about the mess peppie made. :p
Lol
He did a great job and pulled an all dayer. Thanks a million man.
Tank status is sooooo close.
D

Back