1guydude 300g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

(sorry for the double image quote there)

So, I see how you did the the magnets in the top/bottom of the panel there, did you also end up putting magnets in the braces (second picture)? More importantly .. how well does it hold on? (can they be pulled off with very little effort or is a more definitive tug required)

Need something that's relatively "curious" dog proof, so I had been looking at Keku clips but if the rare-earth magnets provide a solid hold, that'd be even easier.

Edit: Also, your build is looking awesome. I love the size/layout, can't wait to see it loaded up.

test_zps41gkaaly.png

I have mine set up to rest on a ledger board on the stand. The red in the (really quickly done) drawing is a 1x2 screwed directly into the stand. The blue/purple is the facing with a 1x2 attached to it. The facing has a trim board on the top (that turns the facing into an upside down L) to cover over the 1x2's. The last thing is that there is velcro on the the 1x2's so that the facing can't slide around. I didn't draw the 1x2 on the bottom of each the stand and the facing, but its the same as the top. I have doors on the front, also, but I wanted to be able to remove it completely. When I do remove it, I open the doors and lift straight up.
I don't have pictures currently, but I can try to remember to get some... My dogs lean against it all the time. The cats even open the cabinet doors sometimes. The weight of the facing does a lot to keep it in place.

Oh, that's awesome! TY Spieszak! (I saw the note about different mountings by both you and .. ah, another Reef Frontier member, but I hate to admit it .. I'm a visual guy and that drawing definitely helps!

~V

Yup wat spiezak said.
I just got magnets.from mclendons. Idk if they are earth ones or the rating of how strong they are. I just added more as needed. They do snap up against the steel stand.
Not enough to hurt u if u got ur finger there but holds snug. Hths. Sorry.
My hood light fixture facade will have wat spiezak is talking about. A basic frame but all the outside or side pieces will just rest. Idk if im gonna use velcro or more.magnets or wat i decide when the time comes.

O and the braces dont have any magnets in em.
I just placed the board, marked up the steel stand and put the mags around the edges.
I did buy a drill bit for recessing em into the wood. Than just some super glue. Again. Hths
D

The braces are to stop it from bowing and warping. This front panel will be screwed on in the near future
... :)
More to come
D

Yup wat spiezak said.
I just got magnets.from mclendons. Idk if they are earth ones or the rating of how strong they are. I just added more as needed. They do snap up against the steel stand.
Not enough to hurt u if u got ur finger there but holds snug. Hths. Sorry.
My hood light fixture facade will have wat spiezak is talking about. A basic frame but all the outside or side pieces will just rest. Idk if im gonna use velcro or more.magnets or wat i decide when the time comes.

O and the braces dont have any magnets in em.
I just placed the board, marked up the steel stand and put the mags around the edges.
I did buy a drill bit for recessing em into the wood. Than just some super glue. Again. Hths
D

Thanks for the response! (And the additional pictures!) I hadn't even thought about warpage ... I'll put that on my "things to address" with the new stand as well. >.<

Edit: Oh! And cute puppy! Looks like she could darn near run around on the inside of that tank!

Had to pick the dang dog up today at the humane society.
He digs under my fence and get off his harness. We are resorting to a large kennel well we are working :/

Not.much to report on the tank. Skimmer pump i think is too large. Ill get a smaller one and use this as a return maybe.
Great.air and water but a tad too much water lol.
Hard to dial in. I have it set low and let it rise up... but its filled the cup two days in a row.
Added a gate on the water intake side. So now.i can control that and the gate at the bottom will control the water height in the skimmer body.
Also hitchiker.on my LR include a mushroom. Polyps. And aptasia :0.
D

Some of the work peppie and i got done today.
Hardest part is drilling the holes in the dang steel. Which is my job :) lol
D

^lol. At least im good for something!

Well almost 9pm and its done.
Take it down. Paint it. Stain. Whatever. And put it all back together.

Back