1st Build - New to the game!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sweet..i just hooked up a RKL with ph and temp probe....plan on getting a SL2 to monitor salinity and .NET probe to control devices in a couple of months.

sweet..i just hooked up a RKL with ph and temp probe...

SWEET! how you liking it!?

Im stoked to get this up and running
ECO60M.jpg

Nice. I'm controlling a fan..when temp is 80 fan turns on. Also controlling heaters.
I don't need anything fancy so this unit is sufficient

Once I update the Sid to version 2 I will be able to use the myreef software

Got some weird water params today

Dkh - 7
Calcium - 420
Nitrate was about 50-60
Phosphate - . 3
Nitrite - .4

came home from work and everything was closed up and decided to do the tests and not sure what changed over night

Sent from ruk's MoPho

Last edited:
Well my nitrates are normally about 20. And dKh is about 9.. normally.. but nothing looks happy all of a sudden.. well fish look good.. but coral wise they are cursing me out.. i honestly dont know if the nitrates are that bad but when they damn near double it makes me a little nervous..

I guess maybe i should find safe levels for everything first then worry..

Do you have levels that you try to keep?

Sent from ruk's MoPho

while most fish can handle nitrate up to 100, most corals seem to be ok with less than 20 but the lower the better. more than 20 and my corals all close up. It might be time for a water change but I keep a bottle of Prime around for trouble spots. I have mostly LPS and softies and they like to have Kh at 9.5, Ca at 450.

So I did as close to 50% water change as possible and also went and got Some prime too just incase... And the guy gave me a cleaner shrimp for my purchase... Sweeet

so im looking for some input..

I took apart my 10 gallon sump in order to divide and make a refugium in it as well as add my AE Tech ETSS SumpBuddy 60...

but i got an ecosystem 60 hang on back refugium, so now i was gonna reassemble my sump and just add the new skimmer, but my buddy said not to because of the size constraints that i am currently facing... he said to use a 5 gallon bucket as the sump instead.. i just wanted to get some input on this... see what yall thought..

so before i go any further, i will wait for some advice from my amazing community at RF... :)

So i put the hob refugium together.. slapped in 10lbs of mud... my LR rubble... and filled it with water and got it movin... i skipped the bucket w/ skimmer part for now till i can get some better planning... so no skimmer running ATM.. not sure how much i like that... but shouldnt be but maybe a few days..

Sent from ruk's MoPho

Back