200 gal in wall

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nomercymike

Live Aloha!!!!!!!!
My boss had me drive down to Portland sunday and pick up a 200 gal acrylic take made Invisions out of Portland. It is 60"Lx24"Wx30"H w/euro bracing and center overflow. We are going to put in a wall will a small room behind it. The front and left side will be visible. Im in the process of buffing out the tank to get it ready to be put in the wall. Looks like my boss may got with a Solaris or Aquaillumination fixture, as to not need a chiller with halides. Any thoughts on the LED setups? We are looking at a few skimmers and on the look out for a calcium reactor and pumps. This will be an SPS dominant tank w/200lbs + of live rock. The tank was drilled for a closed loop and I will use it but want to had 2 more holes at the bottom to add plumbing to have the water flow blow back on rock(Salmonslayer). All we installed a waster drain for water changes and piped in water for the ro/di unit. I will have pix this week with the progress. Would love some ideas.
Mike

Ive heard good and bad things about the Solaris fixtures. Its still a gamble with first generation design IMO.

Ive just spent weeks pondering over which LEDS to go for.

Ive looked at every review and comment I can find and ive spoken to both companies.

I beleive that the Aquaillumination is both brighter and considerably better built. Rumour has it that the Solaris is poorly finished and is assembled in China whereas the Aquaillumination is all american built and designed. I have spoken at length to the guy at AI and he knows his stuff...I know because i'm also an electronics engineer.

Ive now put my money where my mouth is and ive got a 60" AI unit on order for a new tank setup.

For me, the only advantage the Solaris has is that the control unit is built into the fitting which cuts down on loose wires but of course, because the AI unit has a seperate controller, it means that you will be able to hook your laptop into it (software is being developed).

Thank you for the info. Is there anyway you could get me the name and number of that contact. Also have you heard anything about successful growth of SPS w/LED's? This tank will be SPS dominant. Mike

Yea she is happy with, but she is all LPS, most LPS does fine in any good lighting. I want to know if I can get sps growth lik you all have in your halide lit tanks w/solaris or aquailumination setups.

Thank you for the info. Is there anyway you could get me the name and number of that contact. Also have you heard anything about successful growth of SPS w/LED's? This tank will be SPS dominant. Mike

Go to the aquaillumination site at http://www.aquaillumination.com/
theres loads of info and specs on there.

The guy ive been communicating with is Chris Clough and it is basically his company. all his contact details are on the site. You will find him very helpful.

I found Solaris far less forthcoming with info. There is also an independant review on the right hand site of the page, conducted by riddle labs. If you take the time to soak it all up, you will realise that these lights are very powerful.

As far as keeping SPS, Chris tells me they are good to 24" on SPS and the review will show you how well they grow under this lighting.

A trawl around the web suggested that the Solaris, whist being a good light has a few issues that may be important for your setup.

Apart from apparent build quality, the cooling fans are on the ends of the unit, making it more difficult to build inside an enclosure if you intend to have full length lighting (recommended) as they cannot acheive a good air flow. I also led to beleive that the fans tend to blow air into the gap between the led unit and the cover glass and cause it and the LED's to dust up. As the led,s use silicone lenses, you dont want to be constantly cleaning them.

I would add of course that I have no practical experience of either light unit and all of this is purely from what ive read but people rarely critise their purchases without good reason, in fact the reverse is often true.

Finally, Chris spent an entire year getting the cooling right on his lighting and he also sent me the formulas for calculating the beam spread in the tank, to put my mind at rest over the way the tank would be illuminated.

Quote.....

To get a better idea, you can plug in the tank depth dimensions into the following equations (where X is depth):

Width = 0.727 * X + 4.635
Length = 0.727 * X + 9.955

So, for example, if the tank is 24" deep, the spread would be 27.4" x 22" (L x W). These numbers are based on the design parameters, and not accounting for the effects of water, transmission loss, etc.

They seem to hold true though, as we have customers with 72" tanks that are 24" wide and 30" deep with great results.

Unquote

Hope it helps

I will have to check it out, we are working with a 30" depth, which I was thinking of doing lower light sps or zoa's, trying to stay away from lps in the tank. Thank you and your very helpful. Keep me posted on your setup. I think we will be buying in a month. Mike

Here are some pix, I havent had time to load them.

img057.jpg

Tank after 2 days of buffin it out. Look brandnew

img047.jpg

Inner part of the wall and top of stand we built and cover it all with a waterproof elastimer coating.

img050.jpg

Sump area , used a 6inch steel beam to help support weight

img060.jpg

Tank installed and my goofy workmate.

img065.jpg

Tank with rock work almost done and and the powder coated metal trim work.

img064.jpg

This what ya call a big cave. You could fit a small dog in it.

nice looking rock work. love the cave. so that obviously is not live rock? Will you be adding more rock from another tank later?

Oh boy, those are just the pics I needed to see to get teh motivation to get started on my upgrade to a corner built in. Very nice indeed.

Actually is a lot of live rock that I have been cooking for about a month. Tank had water in it that night about midnight and now is doing great. Installed 4 tunze's with a multicontroller. Lights come in this week. Still trying to decide on buying the bubble master 250, or the octopus xtreme 250 or the scw xtreme 250, which both have a 6-8week wait. Any idea out there in reef land?

Well we received the skimmer yesterday. I opened it up and was so excited to set it up. Come to find out the inlet for the left pump was broken off. Pieces of plastic littered the inside of the box. We are in the process of having UPS pick it up and get a new base. So now we get to wait even longer.

Bummer.......At least your weren't told that you were outa luck and to deal with it.

Well our float valve failed over the weekend sometime. Water was all over even in the next room where there is carpet. Pulled up the pad and put fans on full blast and cranked the heat up to 90. Hopefully it will dry out soon. I guess my boss has been initiated into reefing. Lights should be up tomorrow and find out status of the bubble master. Other wise tank parameters are normal.

If you can, get rid of the float valve. A double float switch with a remote pump is the only way to go......

Back