210 In Wall

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hey trido, trying to re-aquascape my tank, how much in pounds do you have in your tank? how do you keep your sand so white, do you have a powerhead near the bottom? whats your placement of your powerheads, direction and flow? thanks in advance
apollo

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.
I have a CL pushing near 5500GPH along with 1000GPH of return and a MJ mod (2000GPH) behind the rock work. The main flow from the CL (about 2/3rds) is supplied from two 3/4" locline fittings, one of wich has a penductor to increase the flow from the pump. The other third from the CL is ran thorugh a super squirt which feeds eight more loclines randomly throughout the tank to give more chaotic flow. There is roughly 280 pounds of rock in the display but most is supported by a 1/2" PVC framework. Otherwise it would take near 75 pounds more to make the right side structure.

For my sand, right now all I have is a few nassarious snails, a pink spot watchman goby that stirs it a bit, and a nuerotic female maroon clown that stirs things up a bit as well. There are also a few small serpent stars that clean out the underside of the rock work too. When the tank inhabitants aren't doing well I use a turkey baster to storm the sand bed to clean it of detritous. This also allows me to move some back to where I want it after my fish have rearanged it for me whether I like it or not, typically piling it up on the front glass. I seem to storm the sand about once every other month.

I hope that helps.

Its been a while since I ve posted in this thread. Alot has happened since July.
Ive upgraded my lighting from DE 250 to SE 400. Now im running reeflux 12Ks over the tank driven by icecap ballasts.
Ive also increased my display tank flow to around 13500 GPH or a 65X turnover. Ive done this with power heads. There are now two MJ mods and three tunze nanos making up over 7000GPH of flow. The rest is done with the CL
Ive also recently added a chiller. MY AC unit was working great at keeping the temp in the display and the tank room down but I felt I could save a few pennies on elecricity with a small chiller. We'll see about that.

Ill try to get some pics up tomorrow.

I love the rockwork and the tank looks wonderful.

Did you silacone any of the LR together or is it just sitting on those pvp stands that you made? How is that workin out for you?

Finally some pics
Left side
tanksep08004.jpg

Right side
tanksep08003.jpg

Left side LPS forest/bommie
tanksep08049.jpg

Center
tanksep08009.jpg

My sailfin wanted a close up taken real bad
tanksep08022.jpg

Down the length
tanksep08013.jpg

Misc. close ups
tanksep08018.jpg

tanksep08028.jpg

tanksep08047.jpg

tanksep08027.jpg

Of course, there are alot more but you get the idea........

Bojangles, I really like my PVC framework for the rocks. After adding a MJ mod nearly all of the sand has blown out from behind and under the rock work making it nearly bare bottom. It also gives the fish ALOT of hiding room and allows for massive flow in the rocks themselves. I was considering using an acrylic platfrom with dowels but IM blad I went this route instead. I was able to go taller with less rock since my tank is 30" tall.
Also. The only adhesive on the rock work was used for attaching it to the overflow on the left. Every thing on the right is simply stacked. I have plenty of experience from alot of years with FW ciclid tanks.

Tank looks great. I am starting work on a in wall myself tomorrow adding a tank room behind the house. Would love to hear any advice you have from your experience. Also curious about how you are controlling humidity, heating and cooling.

Looks great, Duane. Did you reaquascape again? The left side of the tank looks way taller than the last time I saw it.?? I like it. :)

For humidity, I use a 110CFM QUIET BATH fan controlled by a cooling stat. in both the tank room and hte equipment room. I used to have a dehumidistat but found that for it to function properly I had to adjust it all of the time due to changing local weather conditions. Its easier to set the coolingstat at around 82 and leave it be. Since doing this, the laundry room and the equipment room temperature stays below 85F and I never feel as though there is much moisture in the air. Its not running down the walls anyway. The equipment room fan never usually runs and the tank room fan runs from three to five hours in the late afternoon.
I hope that helps answer your questions.
Regarding advice for a built in. Dream about it for a long time, and dont hesitate to ask for advice or opinions on RF with pics anytime possible. Also, expect to be changing things within a year. ;)

Last edited:
Looks great, Duane. Did you reaquascape again? The left side of the tank looks way taller than the last time I saw it.?? I like it. :)

Nope , no reaquascaping here. Im trying to keep my hands out except to feed acans and the elegance.

Bojangles, I really like my PVC framework for the rocks. After adding a MJ mod nearly all of the sand has blown out from behind and under the rock work making it nearly bare bottom. It also gives the fish ALOT of hiding room and allows for massive flow in the rocks themselves. I was considering using an acrylic platfrom with dowels but IM blad I went this route instead. I was able to go taller with less rock since my tank is 30" tall.
Also. The only adhesive on the rock work was used for attaching it to the overflow on the left. Every thing on the right is simply stacked. I have plenty of experience from alot of years with FW ciclid tanks.

LOL don't I know it! I did FW for about 13 years before switching to SW. I had a 200g full of Africans, about 130 or so, but when I moved in 2001 I lost the whole tank and I've been doing SW ever since. :|

Back