400 gallons of saltwater running through my house.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Oh yeah, I've been looking around for a couple years on cephalopods but never wanted to commit my refugium to one. The eggs could take anywhere from 2-10 months to hatch.

wow, that would be very cool if the eggs actually hatch. keep us updated when you can. do you know if the "mom" survives until they hatch to protect the eggs or if they have to go it alone? so you have any pics of the eggs?

Well Well Well. It's been awhile since my last post. Here's an update:

• The octopus died this last week and from what I can tell all of her eggs are gone. I didn't really see any babies so I'm thinking that between the damn damsel and the peppermint shrimp they all got ate.
  • I've been re-installing A/C units to deal with the heat, all seems fine there.
  • The dosing pumps & 3 gallon solution containers (ALK & CAL) I installed a while back just ran out this last week so I upgraded to 5 gallon containers. Wow, dosing pumps have saved me a lot of time and make me feel a lot better when Shelby and I are gone!
  • Speaking of being gone, Shelby and I eloped over to Miles City a few weekends ago to get married and to go to the Miles City Bucking Horse Sale. We had a great time!
  • Now back to the tank, the display tank has a bit of green hair algae in it that I can barely stand to look at. It's probably about time to change my RO filters and carbon.
  • It's also probably about time to think about changing bulbs again.
  • The black and while false percula disappeared while we were gone. :confused:
And that's what I can think of off the top of my head. Summer is going to be busy for us but we should be up in the Flathead quite a bit. :biggrin: Hope everyone is doing well!

Made it past the hot days we had last week. :wink: Tank seems to be happy since I trimmed up the corals and removed a bunch of algae. I added 100+ blue legs and a marine betta the other day. I figured that since the 6 Line & Clown disappeared it was a good time to add another fish from Reefmissoula. The marine betta is about 4 inches long.

Hope all is well!

Attachments

• photo (8).jpg
    photo (8).jpg
    44.7 KB
The marine betta is doing well in the tank. So far he's been a really good addition! He's eating shrimp from my tweezers just as the mantis shrimp does. Now that it's getting cooler at night I've been opening the windows and letting some fresh air in and hopefully allowing the tank to breath a bit. Looking forward to Fall!

The marine betta is doing well in the tank. So far he's been a really good addition! He's eating shrimp from my tweezers just as the mantis shrimp does. Now that it's getting cooler at night I've been opening the windows and letting some fresh air in and hopefully allowing the tank to breath a bit. Looking forward to Fall!

Have you noticed a low pH while keeping the windows closed? I know quite a few people have that problem during the winter.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that the increase C02 levels from keeping the windows closed has lowered the pH (-.1) in the tank a little, even caused a bit of algae growth. Soon as I open everything up at night everything seems to go back to normal (and the house smells better).

I took the flush valve off of my RO unit today and installed a garden timer to automate the flushing process. I've started with 1 minute of flushing every 4 hours. That might be over or under doing it but it's a place to start. Has anyone got a flushing schedule that seems to work well for them? I just wasn't remembering to use the flush value often enough to make a difference.

image-2808858683.jpg

Just got done changing all the T5 Giesemann bulbs out in my Tek Lights after 1 year 2 months of use. It's been about a month since I changed the MH XM bulbs out in my Current USA fixture. The tank is about 3.5 years old now (set up 3/1/2008).

Battling a green hair algae cycle right now but hopefully a new skimmer will help. Reef Octopus recirculating skimmer is on the way! Oh and added a radiant wrasse (bottom right) to the tank that has been a really neat addition. Our Teardrop clam died last month and I'm pretty sure it was due to pyramid snails. We are hoping the wrasse will do his job and help keep the population down!

Saltwater Aquarium 10-23-11 - 3.5 yrs by devonmorton, on Flickr

Maybe... Keep it on the Down Low. Not sure that Barb knows it's gone.

estanoche said:
ohhhhhhhhhhh close ups on the wrasse are now required Devon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will have to clean the glass again and see if I can get a shot. This one of the neatest wrasses I have seen in person!

Back