400w Reeflux bulb on HQI Ballast

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReeferPatt

Kevin,
You run Reeflux bulbs correct? Ever had one new out of the box that would not fire?
I just recieved one the other day, installed it using a standard ballast and it wouldn't light. Just a very small flicker. So I put on a PFO hqi ballast, still didn't light. Just a blue arc across the inner tube, not sure what that tube is called, but would not light.

Ever had this problem. Both ballast will fire the 400w 10k xm. Talked to the people I bought it from and their reply was they have never had one that didn't light. They said the bulb isn't made for hqi ballast and won't last longer than a month maybe two and will go out.........

Thanks,

Robert

i do have one of the bulb do the same thing,,just give it a good kick start warm up ,, up to 30-45 mins sometime,

Really! I'll give it a shot, don't have nothing to loose. Doesn't sound like they'll replace it anyway. If it works cool, if not oh well. Lick my wounds and move on. If it doesn't work I think I'll try the G. Mega Chrome 13.5k. Heard some good thing about it.
Would really like to find the Aqua Connect 14k. Right now nowhere to be found in U.S.. If anyone has a line on them please post a link......

Hi Robert,
I currently have 14 - 400W Reeflux bulbs all running on PFO HQI ballasts. I change them out every 10-12 months. I have had a couple of bulbs not fire right out of the box. If a customer gets one I replace it. I would give it a good 30 min to fire the first couple of times. It seems like once they have 80 hours or so on them they light right away.

HTH,
Kevin

Did you buy it new? If they won't give you another one send it up to me and I will check it out. If I get it to fire I will send it back, if not I will send you one that does fire.

Regards,
Kevin

Thanks Kevin,
I just tried for about 30 minutes, no changes. Was worried it might damage it further. You think I should try it a little longer? If so I will. If not if you could trade in for me that would be great. Don't want you to be out any money though, being I didn't buy it from you:oops: .. Guess I didn't realize you shipped products out. If you can exchange it please PM me for shipping address.

i do think Reef flux still have some work in do yet.
when i got introduce to reef flux and the reef flux just came out,, i start of with 10k,,i am encounter with red hue,,ahhh got replaced it,,then yellow for the second bulb,,got replaced it,,time went buy for new bulb,,,won't start,,,got replaced it,,,,won't start again ahhh 30- 45 mins went by design to fire up,, intermittently problem for while,,till to day 6 months later just won't start,,,color and coral response ,,great,,,well sound like buy at your own risk.so,,,what you think,this what i'm thinking,keep on licking the wound or search for new bulb,,new brand?[/COLOR][/[/COLOR]COLOR]

Last edited:
Yeah I'm thinking different bulb. Geismman Mega Chrome 13K. Double in price but heard nothing but good about it. Would like to have a crisp white with a hint of blue. Want to keep the par up to.

peace of mind ,live longer,,won't spin off the road to easy like reef flu ..i think i will pay for it,then you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
I sure am glad I use the 250w reeflux. Not a problem til I got the e ballast and it's fired up every time.

How is the bulb ReeferPatt? I just connected my new reeflux. I cannot remember what color it is. I don't live with my tank anymore :mad: since I am now living with my wife (we just got married:D ). I hope the bulb is doing well, my Dad hasn't said anything about it not working. I hope to go see it today. Keep us updated.

How is the bulb ReeferPatt? I just connected my new reeflux. I cannot remember what color it is. I don't live with my tank anymore :mad: since I am now living with my wife (we just got married:D ). I hope the bulb is doing well, my Dad hasn't said anything about it not working. I hope to go see it today. Keep us updated.

It won't lite, just throws a blue arc across the inner tube.:mad: Going to send it back. Tried it for about 30 min. Had to put the xm back in.....

Dont fill bad . I have one and it wont fire got it from Macna and wish it would fire just want the look of the 12k tried it on 2 ballast not a thing happened.

Back