46G Bow Front Reef 1 year old

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

krisfal

My first reef tank is now a year old (Set up in May, First fish added July). I cannot believe the changes in a year and how much easier the tank is to take care of as it has settled in:).

The first two are a couple of pictures from last August, the last one was taken a couple of weeks ago:

Last edited:
Seabae

Yea, the shadow comes from the center support which is black, I wish the manufacturer would have used something clear for the support.

Yes, I believe that is a seabae. It was bleached when I bought it. Like many I was taken by the beautiful white :eek:and purple anemone before I knew that those were unhealthy colorations. Fortunately it came back to health quickly in spite of my ignorance at the time. I like this anemone a lot. Here is a close up of a part of it that really shows its now healthy coloration.

I removed the center brace and replaced it with clear acrlyc. Do it with no water or low water. I used acrilyc dowels glued thru it.

That is what i love about mature tanks, you just kind of top them off and the rest just happens :)

Looks awsome kris...way better than the begginning.

good luck :)

-augustus

Thanks Augustus, this tank's success had a lot to do with you setting it up for me so that it was set up right:), by someone who knew what they were doing. That allowed me to learn about my tank and how to take care of it, with the right equipment in place, instead of having to continually replace poorly chosen equipment while trying to figure everything else out.

Thanks again for all you did to get me started in this hobby, and for your continued advice when needed.

Thank you James and Chris:)

I am anxious to see my SPS tank grow out and fill in like the softy tank has!

Thanks Krish and Reeferdude. Softies grow like weeds! And anemones even quicker! The LTA in the August pictures had to be moved to my 130g as he was taking up over 1/2 of the 46g:shock:

Replacing the brace?

I removed the center brace and replaced it with clear acrlyc. Do it with no water or low water. I used acrilyc dowels glued thru it.

We (hubby and myself) have talked about it, but do not trust our DYI skills enough. We have a 45g for a QT that had the center brace removed (and not replaced) when we got it and it bows pretty bad when filled. We tried replacing with clear acrylic and that lasted until the tank was full:(. As the bow front was a spendy tank for the size, I think we will just deal with the shadow (the mushrooms do not seem to mind).

Thanks for the suggestion!

Back