500 Gallon SPS Dominant Zeovit

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Today was the first exchange I performed on the ZeoVit reactors. So I took 1 liter of stones out of each reactor and replaced them with new stones. I also started dosing the bio mate to help bring down the phosphates as they are down to .22 with all the water changes that I have performed.

Also the past week and a half since my debacle I was doing 25-30 gallon water changes to get the treatment out the tank and today I did a 100 gallon water change. Hopefully I can see the results when I get back home today.

My fish are starting to breathe slower(those that were affected) and eating.

Not much of an update but positive things are happening to the tank.

I can officially say that all fish are breathing normal and eating well. I had purchased a product called Bio Mate to aid in my phosphate problem which I tried with the LaCl and failed miserably.

Before the Bio Mate my phosphates were around .32-.35 on the Hanna Checker. I have been using it about a week now and today they were tested at .21. My Nitrates are still hovering around 5-10 ppms and I am cool with that as they are sorta assisting with lowering the phosphates. Will update in about another week to see where all the readings will be. I am awaiting the zeoheads input on my progress and adjusting to my dosing regiment.

Sorry to hear about all the problems, I hope things get better. I don't have any tangs because of the ich factor. I like them, but they scare me to death.

Sorry to hear about all the problems, I hope things get better. I don't have any tangs because of the ich factor. I like them, but they scare me to death.

Things have improved over the past week. I have noticed no more fish lost during that time. Tangs are actually cool. No need to be afraid.

Things have improved over the past week. I have noticed no more fish lost during that time. Tangs are actually cool. No need to be afraid.

I actually had made a decision that another algae eater would be good for my tank and picked up a One Spot Foxface Rabbitfish, He is pretty cool and more disease resistant. I like him just as well. I had a Sailfin Tang at one time, I bought him on impulse, when I first got into the hobby, Then I found out how large they get and after a year I gave him to a guy with a 210. I only have a 90 and don't want to put a tang in that small of a tank. I think they should have a 6 foot run minimum.

I actually had made a decision that another algae eater would be good for my tank and picked up a One Spot Foxface Rabbitfish, He is pretty cool and more disease resistant. I like him just as well. I had a Sailfin Tang at one time, I bought him on impulse, when I first got into the hobby, Then I found out how large they get and after a year I gave him to a guy with a 210. I only have a 90 and don't want to put a tang in that small of a tank. I think they should have a 6 foot run minimum.

I totally agree and respect that. I have a one spot foxface in my tank also. I want to get another Blue Eye Kole tang because he was good with algae to and alway grazing on the rocks, sand and glass. I will slowly build my algae crew back up once I feel everything has settled.

Good luck with your tank. It sounds like the worst is behind you. I know how crappy I felt a couple of years ago when I lost 3 large tangs within a week to a mistreated infestation.

I just bought a clean up crew for the tank and they seem to be keeping the algae at bay.

Good luck with your tank. It sounds like the worst is behind you. I know how crappy I felt a couple of years ago when I lost 3 large tangs within a week to a mistreated infestation.

Thanks allen and N1. From here on out I will be using the K.I.S.S. method and with only products I know all to well(pretty much the basics).

A very good friend had to put a hold on reefing. He is going through some things in his life and just can't focus on the hobby right now. So he gave me his setup to use if or until he gets the bug again. My plans are to hook it up to my main system and make it a frag tank.

ahybaru4.jpg

ujypy3ag.jpg

5epezehy.jpg

7apa7eqy.jpg

The intake for the closed loop
e8y9yzy5.jpg

And the returns from the closed loop.
azyjubyj.jpg

yty5y3yp.jpg

pu3y7ahe.jpg

ahe3y6u4.jpg

This is the pump for the closed loop with an OM4. The pump is a Dart Hybrid with the lower GPH impeller.
na7ajuby.jpg

The lighting for the tank is well, I will let the picture speak for itself.
eza3egeq.jpg

umurapy9.jpg

eva6y7a3.jpg

Curious about the dart hybrid. I'm using a waveline dc10000 but I want something with a little more flow. But it has to be quiet!

That might be the ticket. Mine is about 2600 GPH, the dart is about 3600. I've got 8 outlets on my closed loop, 3/4" loc-line. I'm running 1" pipe to the outlets. That extra 1000 GPH would be great.

Back