55 gallon drums

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

beoks

alright so ive been on the search for 55 gallon drums for a while now without having to drive to tacoma eds surplus has em at 19 bucks each but most of them came from pepsi or a bakery that used them for vinegar, i called he said everthing is water soluble so it should be perfectly fine, but this seems fishy to me any suggestions???

there is also a gardening place on 175 i think and 99 that has tons of them outside but i have not been able to get off work early and stop by anyone familiar with them?

I have used the 15 gallon dr pepper drums and they are fine. also use a couple 55 gallon pickle barrels that hd brine in them and they too are fine. as long as they are food grade you should be golden. just rinse them out really good.

19 bucks is not too bad

i have catalogs at work i can order new ones clean never used and they are like 60-80 bucks

Like others said, you'll be fine with those from Ed's Surplus as long as they just had food in them. Heck I may just go over and pick one up myself.

Vinegar is a okay as far as reefs go. I use vinegar to clean all my pumps and power heads monthly. No ill effects yet and I've been doing that for 6 years now.

haha uline is the catalog i have at work they have some random stuff in there

I have one in my garage that you are welcome to. It could use a cleaning and the lid isn't quite a perfect fit, but if you want it it is yours.

Jamie

alright so ive been on the search for 55 gallon drums for a while now without having to drive to tacoma eds surplus has em at 19 bucks each but most of them came from pepsi or a bakery that used them for vinegar, i called he said everthing is water soluble so it should be perfectly fine, but this seems fishy to me any suggestions???

there is also a gardening place on 175 i think and 99 that has tons of them outside but i have not been able to get off work early and stop by anyone familiar with them?

Sounds like the Chubby and Tubby Gardening center lot in Shoreline on 99. We got our Christmas tree there. They will be closing up from Jan-March so you better check them out before the end of the month. The barrels are food grade and I want to get one or several myself. Just need to get some room squared away in the garage.

alright stopped the place in shoreline here is the address if anyone wants it they dont have a name they are selling gardening and water containters out of a big shipping container
17212 aurora ave n, north seattle /shorline wa 98133

call mike 206-391-4058

they everything from food grade 55 gallon for $35.00 to 55 gallon with screen top and double spigot for 60
they also have larger i think i saw a 250 gallon container and 200 gallon and so on they deff have lots of them. price was a bit more than eds surplus

Last edited:
MJD Distributes
17212 Aurora Avenue North, Shoreline, WA

That's what Google gives and yes I do belive it is where the Chubby and Tubby is at. Going to have to pick one of those up myself. *lol*

Cheers,
Alex

i have two of the 55g containers from eds surplus..they work fine for me..just rinsed them out very well with white vinegar and water til they didnt smell like pepsi.

Back