800Gallon Tall Plywood Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

if I knew the location of the hole that could work.
The good news for the day, it is NOT the panel or around the panel leaking, I have about 8" of water in the tank and it is leaking so that means it is the bottom or sides. My guess at this point is the front frame.

:eek2:

I FOUND THE HOLE!!!!

I am not sure if it was a bubble that popped but I have found a hole about 1/4" x 1/8". Maybe the epoxy and fiberglass did not work there or something I am not sure, I checked the tank over several times and never saw this hole.

My plan of action, Sand out the area and patch it with fiberglass and epoxy. I will do 2-3 layers this way and then a few layers of just epoxy. Then over that I am going to add silicone. This should take 5-7 days to complete then I will water test it again.

Yeah its been in the negative numbers here so I have done nothing. The weekend is going to be warm so I will be working on it. It must be done my May, I have a Wedding in June so the tank needs time to settle.

I hear ya on the cold! It sux. Look forward to some updated pics of this monster.

Update for everyone, with some warm weather hitting use I have been able to start working on this again. I have almost completely removed all silicone, exopy, and fiberglass from the bottom. I should finish this up soon and start redoing the bottom area.
Here are some pictures of the removal:

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

You know it is not recommended that you put any joint support inside the tank. You can reinforce it from the outside only. Meaning tank has to be build into the house. And I really think you should use Benjamin Moore 2 part epoxy. It is made just for this purpose. good luck.

I thought I should update everyone.
Most of the inside rework is finished, I have a few more corner pieces to add this week.
I also am getting the epoxy and will start refiberglassing the tank. This should not take to long but I will have to do some silicone work around the panel so this will have to sit and dry for a few weeks then water test it again. If all goes well I have some foam work to do and then I can swap the tanks and get this one in place.

I have also changed my lighting from MHs to SolarTubes.

One a good note, the sumps water test went well/.
Sump full of water
DSC_0188.jpg

what happened? Where's the happy ending?LOL. Looks like more fun than I want to have, your wife must be laid back. My Ol'Lady would kill me if I tried something like that. I catch crap for looking in my tank too long,LOL.

Can't wait to see it full of salt water and life!

Well it is sitting in my garage still. Getting ready to saw it into pieces. The panel never sealed correctly. I could not remove it without redoing the front of the tank. It was a fun learning process but I needed to onto other things.
I do know alot of what went wrong and I will keep the front panel in-case I ever want to try it again :)

Back