A Saga: Nikki's 120 gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dgasmd said:
Where is your algae again????

:lol: I have a small suspicion Nikki *may* be a perfectionist at heart...those tiny sporadic little green patches hardly qualify as an "algae problem"... :lol:

MikeS

MikeS said:
:lol: I have a small suspicion Nikki *may* be a perfectionist at heart...those tiny sporadic little green patches hardly qualify as an "algae problem"... :lol:

MikeS

Perfectionist is the nicest way I've heard that put! :D :lol:

The algae is there, trust me. I added a long spined urchin, and it is slowly but surely plowing thru the rock. I've had some issues recently with my acros, and I'm not quite sure what to make of it yet. I'm going to be doing some more tests on the tank to make certain I'm still on track.

Since the last update, I've added a Resplendent Anthias, that is one of my favorite fish in the tank.

Anthias.jpg

The other thing that has changed, I wasn't happy with my sump. The ER CS8-3 skimmer I had was elevated on a little stand for the proper water height. Detritus would collect under this stand and made it impossible to remove. I decided to have IAP make a custom sump with a settling section where detritus will collect for easy removal. The sump is fantastic, and the detritus collects in a pile where I siphon it out during a water change. I also had them make a new refugium/water box for my live rock, just a different dimension than I had before. It allows me extra space in the side cabinet.

Here's the sump. Awesome job IAP!

sumpnewiap.jpg

Also added a Tunze Osmolator for my top off. I moved all the electrical into the side cabinet on the American DJ strips. I have a AquaController 2 on the way, as well.

electricalandtopoff.jpg

Oh - I know I reported the loss of one of my clams to PM. Well, the other one took a dive....is still alive, but it cut itself off the rock. I'm pretty sure its byssal gland is still in tact, as I saw it trying to grab onto a rock from its side, however, all the threads and everything are attached to the rock it jumped from. I'm not sure how much longer this clam will live - it hasn't had its mantle extended out in a week or so. It's pretty much following the same path as the other clam did.

Nikki,
Very nice looking setup I cant wait to come over and see this. Great stand, I too went with steel frame, much lighter per volume/weight it can hold :D. Love your setup.

Fish vs. Woman with Opposable Thumbs

Weeeeeeeeee!!!! Woman with opposable thumbs wins the battle against the SPS eating Magnificant Rabbitfish. My corals started to take a dive, so I would watch daily as the rabbitfish gnawed on some acros....despite the copious amounts of algae. I found a good home for her in a 180 tank....without corals. She left tonight. I thought I heard my corals breathe a sigh of relief. I hated to see her go, as she was gorgeous! However, I want my corals to be gorgeous. Hopefully, I'll see them bounce back....that is, if she was the reason for the STN on a couple of them.

Now to figure out what to put in her place. For sure I want to add some female anthias....I really would like to get another magnificant rabbitfish like her, but I'm a little gun shy.

jlehigh said:
Nikki if that sump looks anywhere near that clean for an extended time I will pay for your head doctor ;)

Ummm.....how long is the extended period? I thought everyone's sumps stayed clean?? :rolleyes: :p :D

The saga continues........stay tuned :)

I'm glad Jeff was around to catch another fish from your tank.....You should really learn how to do that Nikki. Jeff might be away on a trip and you'd have to wait for him to get back.....

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Nick

What a fish, my Rabbitfish also ate sps, guess you have to be lucky to get one that doesn't. Congrats on the catch Nikki!

Thanks! I've heard of Rabbitfish eating corals, but thought the eating of SPS to be more on the rare side....I mean it isn't like there is a bunch of tissue there to eat!

Nick - thanks for the offer to come over and catch a fish for me when Jeff's out of town! That's very generous of you!!! For the record....I caught the fish, he tried, but the fish hid when he came near the tank.....I win! Can't beat the estrogen posse, by the way.

NaH2O said:
Nick - thanks for the offer to come over and catch a fish for me when Jeff's out of town! That's very generous of you!!! For the record....I caught the fish, he tried, but the fish hid when he came near the tank.....I win! Can't beat the estrogen posse, by the way.

Oh man :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Here we go again. :D :D

Just when I was wanting to update my thread with visions of corals and fish, I'm updating it to show a cracked Eurobrace. Needless to say, I'm pretty upset about it. I've left a message with IAP, so we'll see what happens. The construction of my tank started on March 19, 2004, and I had the tank in my possession on April 27th, 2004. The tank isn't even 2 years old yet.

crackedbrace.jpg

Hey Chuck also had the very same problem two days ago, BigT said it was a problem with the small radius in the corners, you may want to check out that thread.

Scooterman - I read that thread this morning, and went down to my tank, and discovered this.

Scooterman - I read that thread this morning, and went down to my tank, and discovered this.

That sucks again Nikki! I guess glass tanks aren't too bad after all. I'd be scared to death to get acrylic now with my bad luck. Maybe you can upgrade your tank to a bigger size too!

Acrylic vs glass - lots of pros and cons, and I like the acrylic tank for various reasons. Glass tanks are great, too. The only thing I might do differently is the top, but there again, how many tanks have been fine with the eurobracing? I am definately a bad luck girl, especially with this tank. The fact that a brand new Euro-reef skimmer broke in my tank (thankfully replaced by Euroreef) shows my luck. I don't know if a center support would improve the top....no longer making it a eurobrace....sigh, but then again there's the flame polishing. I don't like the acrylic tanks with the giant holes cut out of the top....they seem like a pain to get rock in, let alone clean and aquascape. I liked the open top of the eurobracing for numerous reasons, however, I don't like the fact they are more prone to crack.

Back