A whole new dimension!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LOL If you're on the front porch, you'll miss all the action. If you're on the back porch, you'll be in the way when the tank comes through!! Charlie, at least the next time you come over, it'll be on the stand!!! One way or another, it's going on the stand this week!!!

I just got home from purchasing the sheeting. I decided to use a Birch veneer plywood. 1/4" on the sides, and 1/2" on the front. I'll get it stained tomorrow and depending on how many coats of stain I use, maybe installed tomorrow as well. The only part that I may not like is that there will be visible screws. I'll need to use screws instead of finish nails, since this stand is made to be disassembled and reassembled. I'll be using gold deck screws with brass beauty rings. Where I'm able, screws will be countersunk and covered by trim.

awsome dimensions ! gonna make a saweet reeftank. better tell Madison no swimming after the fishes.

the screws dont have to be visable. screw them in from the back ! use nailers if you need even. just pine blocks screwed to the sheet one direction and screwed to the 2x4s the other. make sure and get the exact right size screws though ;) tape measure for the win. The 1/4 inch wont be doable in this scenario.

Grats :)

Last edited:
DarthV, I'd thought about that, as I used to build cabinetry and am familiar with different ways of hiding screws. However, I didn't want to hassle with nailers all over the inside of the stand. I also do want to use 1/4", on the ends, to cut down on cost. I've already purchased and cut all the plywood, so it's too late to turn back now...lol. There will only be one screw visible on each row of screws, on the front, maybe 2 on the sides. The remainder of the screws will be countersunk and hidden by the trim work, which will be attached with either finish screws or just a few finish nails, so won't be very visible either.

i would use framing nails on the sides then and do the front and back from the inside then ;)

just from experience you will always hate seeing the screws even if nobody else notices it.

both will be just fine though :)

So here's an update I've been really wanting to make!! Today, I get to.

Here's the stand, not finished. Still need to decide what style of trim I'm going to use and still need to build the doors. Screws will all be hidden by trim. There will also be plywood installed for the "floor" of the stand.

3707893679_88f7f04c6c_b.jpg

3707894011_fc8aa3662a_b.jpg

Here's the pictures I've REALLY been waiting to take. We got the tank placed on the stand a few hours ago.

3708706536_016c04343d_b.jpg

To give an idea of how large this thing actually is:

3707895113_46f5c64b56_b.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so this new tank of ours is HUGE!!!! I've been sick all week, so I haven't really been able to do much helping with the stand and tank itself. Madison on the other has been so excited to help out with everything. So far the tank and stand look great in the house and we just can't wait to put stuff in it, of course after we put water in it....LOL. Maybe we should do some plumbing on it first also.....:)

Sid, you will love the 3' depth...I love it on my 375g tank..

you can do so much more aquascaping with 3'.
:)

Time for an update, with not a whole lot to report...lol.

I had quite a week, sorting through different plumbing ideas, before scrapping all of them. LOL

I've decided that I'm going to keep the plumbing fairly basic. I'll run a Mag18, as a return pump, and return through 2 3/4" Seaswirls that I recently picked up from Jesse_emel (well, he actually delivered them). Thanks Jesse!!

Additional flow will be created with pumps or powerheads in the display. I'm leaning towards a few Modded MJ1200s or large Koralias, until I can afford to invest in a Tunze set up.

I've procured a skimmer from Luke, after much consultation with Luke and Skimmerwhisperer. Thanks for all the great advice you two!! The Mini S Cone should arrive via UPS tomorrow!!

Tony, Ajnweb, has provided an awesome calcium reactor, in the form of a Korallin 1502!!

I still haven't finished the stand, doors and trim still need to be finished. It's been a very hectic couple of weeks.

Ummm, I think that's all I have to report!! Stay tuned!!!

I also am looking at better flow for the tank..
I'm looking at getting two of the Tunze trubella stream 6125's
Thats 3100gph each
Or maybe the next step down..LOL

Back