A whole new dimension!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LOL Ceiling fan right above the camera, you can see the pull chain. Okay, this is all the rock I added today. There's still LOTS of room. I'm sure I'll re-aquascape several times before I get it all in.
3829300980_88522e7d1e_b.jpg

I honestly think that looks like the perfect amount of rock for an aquascape! Gives you lots of room for fish to swim and grow some absolutely mammoth colonies. Then again, I do like really sparse looking tanks.

How much more rock do you have left to go in?

You do realize that once you get this tank up and running,there will come a time when one of you will say "I think we need a bigger tank".

:D:D

You do realize that once you get this tank up and running,there will come a time when one of you will say "I think we need a bigger tank".

:D:D

I totally hear that LOL. Now that I have my 270g up. I said too myself I could've went bigger.

Man Sid if you can. It is much easier to aquascape without the water in it. It would've been difficult to aquascape the 270g the way I wanted too filled with water. By the time you get the aquascape the way you want it you will be soaked and water all over the floor LOL. Anyhow you will love the 36'' front to back.

Dang, the two SeaSwirls are being supplied by a Mag 18.

Roscoe, I totally agree on aquascaping without water...much easier. Unfortunately, this is live rock and very healthy. I don't it out of water for long periods of time. I placed all of yesterday's live rock and poured in sand, without water, then added water.

Tagpol, I still have LOTS of rock that I can put in. Part of this process will include breaking down the 75 and 46. Between those 2 tanks, there's probably 300 pounds of live rock. A lot of that rock will go into the 200. However, any of that rock that has soft corals attached, will NOT.

Scott, yep, this will hopefully urge you to get your monster tank up quicker!!! LOL

NC2WA, If we'd have had a bigger wall, to put a 6' tank..............lol.

Everyone, thanks for your comments!!

Dang, the two SeaSwirls are being supplied by a Mag 18.

Roscoe, I totally agree on aquascaping without water...much easier. Unfortunately, this is live rock and very healthy. I don't it out of water for long periods of time. I placed all of yesterday's live rock and poured in sand, without water, then added water.

Tagpol, I still have LOTS of rock that I can put in. Part of this process will include breaking down the 75 and 46. Between those 2 tanks, there's probably 300 pounds of live rock. A lot of that rock will go into the 200. However, any of that rock that has soft corals attached, will NOT.

Scott, yep, this will hopefully urge you to get your monster tank up quicker!!! LOL

NC2WA, If we'd have had a bigger wall, to put a 6' tank..............lol.

Everyone, thanks for your comments!!

Depending on your aquascape You wouldn't need 300lbs in that tank. Because of the FP of the tank you can utilize each rock better. I have about 200-220lbs in my 270 and it looks very well balanced and not so packed looking. I also agree with Charlie Y'ing the nozzles on the SS will dramatically reduce the flow.

The Seaswirl Ys will be removed and replaced with a single fan fitting. There will be a lot of rock coming out of the 75 and 46 that I won't be able to use, because of the soft corals that are on them. Once I start tearing that rock out, I'll have a better idea what ends up in the 200. I do know that the more rock, the more room to grow corals...lol.

Tank still looks really murky and cloudy from sand particles. I'll probably hook up my 2 Magnum Canister filters, with the micron cartridge, to clear it up quicker.

Made RO/DI water while sleeping, so by later today, I'll be able to finish filling the tank, and get the sump/refugium online.

I do know that the more rock, the more room to grow corals...lol.

Not neccessilly true:) Like I said I have about 200-220lbs of rock in a 6'x3'x2' tank and I have much more realestate than I would if I was to pack my rocks ontop of each other. There are also so many different levels in and out of the rock work to grow out more and different light requirement corals. I guess you would have to see in person what I am talking about.

Oh I really like that Aquascaping!!! I don't like a lot of rock, but I know Michael does. I don't think that we should build the rock up so high and so close together. I don't want to have to say in a month or so "we need a bigger tank." We can't afford bigger....lol. Maybe I can talk Michael into spreading things out more. We have some HUGE pieces in the 75 and 46 and getting one from Barbie as well that should be used as Base IMO, but I don't know much either. LOL
I'm sure we'll reaquascape many times before we're happy....;)

Oh I really like that Aquascaping!!! I don't like a lot of rock, but I know Michael does. I don't think that we should build the rock up so high and so close together. I don't want to have to say in a month or so "we need a bigger tank." We can't afford bigger....lol. Maybe I can talk Michael into spreading things out more. We have some HUGE pieces in the 75 and 46 and getting one from Barbie as well that should be used as Base IMO, but I don't know much either. LOL
I'm sure we'll reaquascape many times before we're happy....;)

In the pass I always tend to pack the tank with rock. I have to say now when it comes to aquascaping less is more as far as realestate goes. My tallest point is about 16''. I aquascaped with the fish in mind 1st then corals. My fish sure appreciate the openess and hiding holes (is that a word? LOL) inside the rock work. It is tough to make out how the deep the aquascape goes with the pics I took.

Last edited:
I think we need openess with our tank too, especially with the fish we have to put in there. Michael wants some bigger fish, and we already have a pair of Triggers that are pretty happy in our 40g breeder. There gonna be really happy when we get them in the 200....LOL

With a 27" tall tank, only 1" of sand and running T5HO, I will need our rock work to rise pretty high in the tank. But I do want to have more of an open look than our 75. Even as packed as our 75 looks, there's lots of tunnels, caves and paths through the rock work. It really doesn't look like it, until you see the fish disappear into a rock and show up on the other side of the tank a few seconds later. The larger fish that will be going into the 200 will need some open areas and the 36" front to back will really help make that possible.

Roscoe, your rock work looks great!! Having all that Tonga sure helps open things up!!

Thanks... tonga branch is the best for the base IMO. It has multi point of contact to the the glass which makes it more stable, opens up the lower half of the tank for superior water flow between the rocks, no boulders blocking water flow, less detritus build up inside and between the rock work!!! Plus it looks good!!! Too bad they can't harvest Tonga branch anymore. I collected TB for over a year for my tank. I started collecting them before I even knew I was getting my tank. I just knew that it would be i nthe 200g+ range.

Sid, I think you will find that if your rock is porous enuf, you will be better off without alot of rock. I also think you may be surprised with the efficiency of the T5 lites. You are to want to allow the corals enough room to grow!!! JMHO

Back