A whole new dimension!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Charlie, I need to add 2 or 3 BIG pieces, behind the current rockwork. I've got all that wasted space in back (about 14"). I plan to build up, at least on the right hand side, to allow me more room for the SPS that are currently on frag racks.

Adam, yeah yeah, I'll try to get a FTS tomorrow. At least that way, I'll have a "before/after" when I'm done, re-aquascaping.

Michael did you have to support your floor at all? I love this tank! Very beautiful! It is so weird, your scroll coral looks purple in your tank! The frag I got from you is bright yellow in my tank. It must be your T-5's.

Michael did you have to support your floor at all?

I did not add any extra support to the floor. The tank is at a bearing wall and running perpendicular to the floor joists.

In my situation, I was able to inspect the floor joists and see that they're plenty "beefy" and spaced close enough together, that no further support was needed.

That Scroll Coral is an interesting coral. It has a dark brown/"Purply" hue with bright yellow edges and polyps. Under some lighting, the "purply" does come out more than under other lights.

Sorry I hadn't got to your PM. I'd meant to and then totally forgot about it....Oooops!! Hope your big tank is progressing!! I'd definitely suggest at least inspecting under your floor to see what kind of support you have.

Yup. We have to dig out under this part of the house. Lennon won't let me do it. I keep wanting to do it anyway myself. There is no way to see under this part of the house without digging or cutting up our carpet and making a hole. Hey, I'm all for taking the carpet up and making a hole that way. He won't! BLAH!

Hey Michael, are you going to be in town this Saturday? I'm driving up for the day and was hoping to purchase more zoanthids off of you if you have any for sale.

Hey Return im thinking of buying one of these marineland dd tanks. From reading the thread they seem like an amesome tank. Was there any draw backs to the tank that you found. Thanks for your input. Im looking at the 250 or 300 just havent decided on the 5 or 6 feet for the space.

mal1099, There actually were a few drawbacks, but they were overcome, with a lil' thought. Our problem was that we don't have any doorways larger than 32". This made it a bit difficult to get the tank inside the house...lol. We had to bring it through, on it's back. The doorways also made it impossible to bring in a completely built stand. Much earlier, in this tank build, you'll see how I solved this problem.

About the only other thing I could wish for is that the holes in the bottom were larger diameter. Oh well, they still work find. If you build your own stand, be aware that the holes are very close to the edge of the tank. SO, make sure than no stand supports or braces will be in the way of plumbing.

Aquascaping is a bit tough, because of the 27" height and 36" depth of the tank...lol.

Other than that, it's an awesome size. The 36" depth is amazing and you won't truly experience this depth until you have fish in the tank and see them swim from front to back.

Figured it was time for an update.

Some of you are aware of our recent tank problems. For those of you who aren't, read here, http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49384

In doing some research, I've found that this is actually a pretty common problem with Milwaukee regulators. They've even posted a "fix" on their website. The fix entails drilling a small hole in the needle valve. I may eventually do that. First, I'm going to try cleaning the needle valve very good. I'll also be purchasing a PH Controller, before putting my Calcium Reactor back online.

While there's NO fish and much less corals in the tank, I'm going to take some time to do some re-aquascaping, and adding a few more large pieces of rock. I've planned the re-aquascaping for a few weeks, but haven't been able to do it yet, due to having company and too many other things to do, for the past few weeks. Now things are starting to settle down a bit, so, I'll either start on it today, or I'll do it Saturday. I will make sure to take before/after pictures.

As an update to the bad situation we experienced: We did lose almost all our fish and quite a few SPS immediately, with the extremely high Alk and extremely low pH and a few more over the next week. However, the damage is over and a few of the SPS have even started to recover. All LPS and Zoanthids survived and are still doing well. Our Aiptasia has gotten worse...lol. I'll try to take care of some of it while doing the re-aquascaping and we've tossed in a few Peppermint Shrimp, in the hopes that they'll lend a helping claw.

Once the re-aquascaping is done, I'll move the corals and 3 fish that did survive, back into the system.

Thats really cool i wish i would have used sea swirls instead of drilling my tank. I like that idea.

WOW, it's been awhile since I've posted to this.

Well, I recently finished re-aquascaping the tank. I like the look much better, AND have more room for coral growth.

I've also purchased more lighting for the tank to add to my old lighting. Now, I'm having issues with my old lighting. My 6X54 Tek5 starting giving me fits. I'd narrowed it down to one of the ballasts. Replaced that ballast yesterday, and it wasn't the problem. I had an electrician test everything out for me today and we figured it out. It's a bad end cap. This $1.95 part is keeping the center 4 bulbs from firing...lol. End cap should be here in Saturday. Once the 6 bulb fixture is working and back on the tank, along with the new 4 bulb fixture, I'll get some new pictures taken!!

I'm also in the process of moving corals back into the 200, from the 40. A lot of corals didn't survive the CO2 problem. I also have a huge crab in the 40, that's taking out zoanthids on a nightly basis. No idea how it got in there, but it's probably been in there for a couple years. Nothing new has been added to that tank in that time. I just discovered this guy about a month ago. Haven't caught him yet. After everything gets moved back into the 200, I'll tear the 40 apart, catch the evil perpetrator and banish him to my sump!!

Not full tank shots, but a few recent pictures. Got a few frags from Dang and here they are.

Oregon Tort
4380185026_0d16d03000_b.jpg

Candle Delight Acropora
4380181818_c77852796f_b.jpg

Aussie Jaquelina Acropora
4379424749_4bbc5696b5_b.jpg

Rommel's Rainbow
4380178350_982da32250_b.jpg

Becker Tort
4379370591_f976597587_b.jpg

Mystery Pink Acropora
4379369517_d7bb575d28_b.jpg