Aggggggh!!! Large Water Spill

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

auqua man

Last night I decided to change my return pump on my sump, after all the plumbing was done I sat back and was admiring my handy work. I then heard a little gurgle coming from the CPR backpack. I decided I would do one more small 2 second adjustment to solve the noise.
I stood on a chair and opened the lid to the backpack when the aqua lifter pump fell off the back. While I was trying to reach for the little pump I saw the water level of the tank was so high it started to cascade over the top:shock: The little line on the top of the backpack that is supposed to start siphon now let air in because the pump disconnected and broke the siphon. My new pump for the sump pumped around 15 gallons of water on the floor before I could turn it off. Wow what a mess I had to tear everything down and dry it all off and 4 hours later it is all good again. That CPR backpack is a disaster waiting to happen! Well I just needed vent that feels better.:)

Had similar issues in the past, lost lots of water on new flooring ruined it, again I have a new set-up on new flooring, hope I can avoid disaster once again, I did overflow the tank three times while getting it all started & tested, now I have a level controller to shut down the pumps when such a thing happens, hope I don't need to test it out but it is good to have:)

Ughhh, what a bummer!
My siphon overflow is my biggest worry and when I get a new tank it will definitely be drilled! Then maybe the nightmares will cease.

Scooty - can you show us (pictures are good)/explain what type of water level controller you have. I had a problem last weekend with an overflow after switching out my return pump and having a semi clogged overflow box. "Fortunately" I only got about 5 gallons of water on the carpet, but I never ever want that to happen again.

[ I have a level controller to shut down the pumps when such a thing happens, hope I don't need to test it out but it is good to have:)[/QUOTE]

I have not seen one of those yet can you give me a brand name or pic please. I think that would be a good way of solving the problem.

all tho i do worry about the over flow sipohne pump failing..

ive made it a happit when ever dissconnecting the power to ther overflow pump

shut off the return while working...

mine lasts about 15 min b4 it looses its siphone.

Bummer on the flood:doubt: Things happen...You said it was your CPR backpack. Do you mean the skimmer because that's the only thing I know a CPR Backpack as being or are you talking about a CPR overflow?? :)

Try twice that...30gallons:(. what a bummer that was. I had a one-way valve on my return pump so when the pump shut off the water would siphon back through the pump. But a snail got in the one-way chamber and it became a two-way valve. It only took about five minutes for it to siphon out that much. Now i have a new one-way that just has a flap that goes down instead of there being a chamber.

If you dont have mistakes you dont learn though, sometimes you just have to learn hard.

-augustus

[ I have a level controller to shut down the pumps when such a thing happens, hope I don't need to test it out but it is good to have:)

I have not seen one of those yet can you give me a brand name or pic please. I think that would be a good way of solving the problem.[/QUOTE]

Here is a link to the one I just bought. I have heard good things of this company..
http://www.autotopoff.com/

Bummer on the flood:doubt: Things happen...You said it was your CPR backpack. Do you mean the skimmer because that's the only thing I know a CPR Backpack as being or are you talking about a CPR overflow?? :)

Yes it was the CPR overflow. :oops: It was the little line on the top used to remove air from the siphon it is normaly on the little aqua lifter pump but the pump fell and the line was disconnected from the overflow and alowed air inside the overflow breaking the siphon immediately thats when my new return pump showed me it`s great pumping ability.:eek:

But a snail got in the one-way chamber and it became a two-way valve. It only took about five minutes for it to siphon out that much. Now i have a new one-way that just has a flap that goes down instead of there being a chamber.
-augustus

Augustus,

Snails can still make their way down to clog that style flapper valve as well... still giving you the same flood.

You should look into a siphon break JUST below the waterline in your main display, where your return enters your tank. This way, if your return pump loses power, as soon as the water level drops down to that syphon break, it sucks in air... stopping any water flow back down into your sump... reguardless of any snails that may be between flapper valves.

It's a shame to hear about your problems with your CS Unit. I really do like CPR. Not only are they local, (I live in Eureka, Ca. They are stationed in Arcata) but they have a great warranty as well as customer service. i don't know how many times my friends and I had to call just to get the ball rolling on some of our tanks. Have you called CPR to ask their opinion on what you can do to keep it from happening again? They have always been nice to me and quite helpful. :)

Last edited:
Yes it was the CPR overflow. It was the little line on the top used to remove air from the siphon it is normaly on the little aqua lifter pump but the pump fell and the line was disconnected from the overflow and alowed air inside the overflow breaking the siphon immediately thats when my new return pump showed me it`s great pumping ability.

LOL! I use to keep 3 spare aqualifters on hand at all times because I had the same thing basically happen to me but luckily I was home to prevent a flood:shock:

http://www.oceanussystems.com/

Not cheap but I needed an auto-top off also & It was cheaper than me trying to buy all the parts & making one, great customer service, they will make it work the way you need it.

Sorry to hijack... but these guys are for real? They contacted me about sponsoring our club. We set up a sponsorship, started their advertising, but never heard a word from them again. I emailed a couple times to make sure we hadn't lost communication for some reason, then eventually called and never got a return call. It was quite the odd scenario, and they managed to annoy our entire club.

Anyway, I just found it strange to see their name again, as I assumed they were some sort of fly-by-night organization looking to start some buzz in a decently sized club, without ever having the intention of following through. Apparently, I was mistaken?

well autotopoff.com didnt reaply to any of my email, or calls

they just sent me the wrong thing (witch was better then what i orded) and then wanted me to ship it back..

Sorry to hijack... but these guys are for real? They contacted me about sponsoring our club. We set up a sponsorship, started their advertising, but never heard a word from them again. I emailed a couple times to make sure we hadn't lost communication for some reason, then eventually called and never got a return call. It was quite the odd scenario, and they managed to annoy our entire club.

Anyway, I just found it strange to see their name again, as I assumed they were some sort of fly-by-night organization looking to start some buzz in a decently sized club, without ever having the intention of following through. Apparently, I was mistaken?

Well heard great reviews from RC, so I called & then eventually got one & called twice since for modifications & they replied every time nothing but great service. Maybe they see who is calling & decide not to talk to you;) No just kidding. I know aquaFX is partner with them you may want to inquire with them.

Back