air skimmer for 300g setup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

causeofhim said:
SteelGluer, Is that an airstone/Cc skimmer? It looks as if it could be a needlewheel. More info please.
Yes its a 3" wooden difuser with a 600 gph power head I didnt have a venturi so I improvised till I make one, or maybe not since it is working so well already and when it breaks in look out. Then there is 3-3/8 holes you can see in the pic right below the black line then another 1/2 hole for the power head the holes are for the water to exit. Ill post more pics as it breaks in if any one wants the material list just ask and a step by step how to. Im one of those that cant wait to get my hands in there do it yourselfers. O by the way i hope im not stealing this thread my first post and all.

Yeah, I'd love to see a material list and a "how to" guide. Maybe you could start a new thread explainining this.

Hey Everyone!

Well, I just glanced through this thread and I am glad to see that the skimmer is working nicely for you. I just wanted to mention to others considering an upgraded skimmer; if your skimmer can produce a clear liquid after it is broken in and you need to throttle it back in order to get the skimmate you desire, then it is addiquate for your bio load. When considering a skimmer, think about its efficiency first. I large skimmer that is not effecient can be out performed by a smaller one that has been properly engineered.... Next consider the room youhave for the device its power consumpstion etc. I hope that little bit of info will help some people out that are considering a new skimmer.....

The R/C Man said:
Hey Everyone!

Well, I just glanced through this thread and I am glad to see that the skimmer is working nicely for you. I just wanted to mention to others considering an upgraded skimmer; if your skimmer can produce a clear liquid after it is broken in and you need to throttle it back in order to get the skimmate you desire, then it is addiquate for your bio load. When considering a skimmer, think about its efficiency first. I large skimmer that is not effecient can be out performed by a smaller one that has been properly engineered.... Next consider the room youhave for the device its power consumpstion etc. I hope that little bit of info will help some people out that are considering a new skimmer.....
LoL you should say about the clear liquid last night it pumped out 8 gallon of water then I had to reset it. Now its making foam like a champ. I must have done something right. Im putting the mat list and the instructions together post it as soon as i am done...

LOL..... Well so long as it works. :D I have been an apprentice for a couple years now building skimmers, reactors sumps ect. I have seen many people build new skimmers just to jump on a bandwagon when the skimmer they have works perfectly fime.... I think they are like me and have to have the new techno gadgets to play with. At any rate, a skimmer can only be so efficient. After that it is a waste. My 375 gallon (total vol 450) will be running a single beckett injected skimmer with an 8" main tube. The whole skimmer will only be 32" tall in order to fit under the stand. With the Iwaki 55 running it it will be plenty.

Back