Anemone Farm

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well I got the lights today. I got 2 shop lights from Walmart for $8.00 each. and I got 4 - 48" 40W 5000K 90CRI GE sunlight lamps from lowes for $15.00

Next step stock tanks and indoor/outdoor carpeting.

So Anthony I have been away and had my wife taking care of the tank. Funny thing I left and had one anemone in the tank and I was target feeding. She was not doing that and when I returned I had 3 yes I said 3 anemone in the tank. It split off by itself. WOW that is cool.

I'd be curious how you guys do in your efforts. It's just hard for me to go chop one nice specimen in half.

I just attended your lecture today sponsored by the Hampton Roads Reef Club in Virginia Beach, and I started thinking about anemone farming. However, I am only 16, and have 0 knowledge about starting (let alone maintaining) a saltwater tank, although my dad can help but he is very hesitant to start farming. How would you recommend starting this whole process (i.e. how large of a tank and what supplies I will need, and what specie to use, just to get a general estimate of startup and maintenance costs)?

cheers, Frogger... its a pleasure to hear from you. There is much to say and read, but yes - I am sure you can do this and do it well (fun, hobby-helpful, profitable, etc).

Please go to the sticky thread atop my forum here called "Fav links" and inside scroll down tot he post entry called "discussions"

inside that post you will see an alphabetical list of topics... please take the time to read "anemone..." farming and "business" entries for starters. There is a wealth of info there.

And welcome to MD! :):):)

Hello and thanks

Hello i also attended your talk in Virginia Beach and thanks again for the information. I bought a RBTA from the reef chief about a year ago since then it has split and now i have four of them. I was wondering what i was going to do with them. Until i heard you speak. I love the hobby and what a great way to give something back. I will read the thread you have recomendedd and post my progress. Thanks again. RYan.

I am delighted and inspired to hear of your decision, my friend :)

Looking forward to reading and seeing your progress above all!

kindly, Anth-

THanks

I am planning on just having the rbta's since i already have some to get me started. I think they are a beautiful species and will just stick with them. Im still collecting information before i begin the process and have learned alot under Mr. Calfo's fav links for anemone's. take care.

Im trying to think cheap would you go with a shallow aquarium or with the plastic trough approach.

its avery good long-term approach to culture fewer but larger qtys of species. Less wasted on defense/aggression... less complications with tanks full of clones, etc.

The shallow tanks are good too for indoors with flourescent lighting... but bad for natural sunlight (ala greenhouse) where they overheat too quickly (not an dequate heat sink)

THanks for the information. I have set up a 50 gallon very strong rubbermaid tub. Im still reading up on waterflow the with air pump. I had an extra canister filter so i just used that to get started. i have lined the inside with indoor outdoor carpeting and set up two shop light fixtures holding two daylight grow bulbs each. 5000 k 90 cri Is this enough light my tank is 20 inches deep? Also is the cannister filter enough or should i add some live sand or rock under the carpeting? Should i get a cleaning crew for the tank as well? I used water from my 3 year old reef tank to get things started. I enjoy challenges and this is a new one to enjoy. Im not hoping to get rich. It would be nice to save a few anemones from the wild make a little extra and see where things go. Im 29 so Ive still got time and much to learn. I know your busy but appreciate any reply you can make time for. THanks Ryan.

Last edited:
Back