(Another) Arduino Light Controller DIY build.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Got the display working, but can't seam to load the"hello world" sketch.
Where is the best website to find latest sketches?

ecfdfa02.jpg

6). ATTACH PROTOTYPE SHIELD + RTC

RTC together with Prototype Shield shown below. If you do not know what breadboard is or how to use it, just google it and Im sure you will see a lot of explanation on how to use it. Here is one video.
ard2-004.jpg

RTC pin assignments. From left to right as shown above. Vcc, Gnd, SQW, SCL, SDA.

ard2-005.jpg

RTC connection to Arduino Uno.

Vcc ---------------------------------- 5v
Gnd ---------------------------------- Gnd
SWQ (not used)
SCL ---------------------------------- Analog Pin 5
SDA ---------------------------------- Analog Pin 4

Ok Reading that page.

Going to try and ATTACH PROTOTYPE SHIELD + RTC either with pins or jumpers to the correct contact.
It seems most of the holes in the prototype shield are separate and unallocated so can be connected by the outer digital or analogue pin and screw terminals.
It takes a bit of working out as the lettering is so small on the board and shield.
Need to get a magnifier.
So far so good. Thank for the direction.

Or move the RTC one step to the right (of picture) then just solder jumpers to the pin holes. Instead of using the screw ones.

Oops, i thought your RTC have pins like mine.

Or move the RTC one step to the right (of picture) then just solder jumpers to the pin holes. Instead of using the screw ones.

Oops, i thought your RTC have pins like mine.

Yes it's a possibility as long as all connections are correct, will think on that one.
Made a mistake on ground. Here's a correction pic.

5c16c77e.jpg

I prefer the last, jumpers. The ground does not need to go around... its already below the RTC. The ones with the yellow paint, you said, common ground rail.

RTC module

I prefer the last, jumpers. The ground does not need to go around... its already below the RTC. The ones with the yellow paint, you said, common ground rail.

Thanks Katchupoy it will be better that way. Just need to pickup some proper Arduino jumpers (m/m) from Jaycars (closed today).
Will look much neater.

Also you mentioned to get "some more transistor... and also some 220 ohm resistors".
How many and what size should I get please?

Last edited:
Ok Have fitted the RTC as suggested.

e347a692.jpg

810bfc9f.jpg

Tried various sketches to install & run but no success yet.

Katchupoy you mentioned to get "some more transistor... and also some 220 ohm resistors".
How many and what size should I get please?

The transistors are for the devices you want to control. The 220 ohms are for the devices you are going to run straight from arduino without transistors.

Example.

Transistors are for the LED channels. One for blue and one for white. So thats two. If you want to add another channel like one for red or violet, etc. then thats another transistor.

Ignore the 220 ohms for now. Its there to help protect arduino so we dont over current the pins. Example. I am attaching 5v coil relays on my arduino. Since it is already 5V, i dont need transistors for these since Arduino is also 5V native. So i can run them straight. The problem is that I dont know what current the 5v coil needs. If its more than 30ma, then there is big possibility that I may damage the arduino.

Well, i tried the 220 ohms but the relay did not work. I dont know what Im doing wrong. So i risked it and run it straight to my arduino. And it worked and no damage to the board.

That is why we want the 220 ohms in there. Just keep it in mind.

Also please double check the polarity of your battery for RTC, it looks like it should be the other way around? well anyways, just double check. Also make sure that the wiring's are correct. Now the question is, are we using the same RTC? Well I take it back. On my original build, Im using a different RTC, and the wiring is the same on my latest build.

So there is something we missed?

If you use my sketch then it should be in the sketch. Now the question is, is it in your Arduino folder. Normally when you download the Arduino, its already included under libraries folder inside arduino.... You should see "wire" folder in there.

C:\Users\yourname\Desktop\arduino-0022\libraries

What do you mean its not working? Nothing in your LCD? Helloworld worked. Then did you change the sketch and used mine? Did you changed again the pins for your LCD? as described in my webste ? #8.

8). ALL CONNECTED? CHECK IF IT WORKS.

Did you remember to change the code?
Did you look within the code for this string? LiquidCrystal lcd(8, 9, 4, 5, 6, 7);
And changed it to this? LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 13, 4, 5, 6, 7);

ard2-009.jpg

OK Just noticed still have to change pin connections to:

D9----------------------------------Digital Pin 13
D8----------------------------------Digital Pin 12
D7----------------------------------Digtial Pin 7
D6----------------------------------Digital Pin 6
D5----------------------------------Digital Pin 5
D4----------------------------------Digital Pin 4
RESET----------------------------RESET
5v-----------------------------------5v
Gnd--------------------------------Gnd
A0----------------------------------A0
Had it all stacked together ,so now I will wire it as you have yours.
"Hello world" worked when stacked together with " LiquidCrystal lcd(8, 9, 4, 5, 6, 7);"
When it's rewired will change to LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 13, 4, 5, 6, 7);
Tried so many sketches for RTC, don't know which one to use?
Will have another go tomorrow - can't see too well this late.
Cheers

Yes that is Step 7. Do the steps one at a time. I explained it why we need to do this.

Sorry if I was not being clear.

Yes that is Step 7. Do the steps one at a time. I explained it why we need to do this.

Sorry if I was not being clear.

No worries Katchupoy,
I also did not download the correct Arduino 0022+ program, had the 1.01 loaded.
Go the 023 downloaded now.
So it's really my fault for not reading your instruction promptly in the first place.
Tomorrow I'll redo the wiring and try to load the new clock script.
Thanks for your patience. It's a steep learning curve!

Back