(Another) Arduino Light Controller DIY build.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'm still in planning stages, diy rock scape, diy led fixture, arduino controller, automated hood lift, pump re-work(deciding to sump, or work with what I got) I recently lost everything in my tank and pretty much have to start over, but in the event of this death, I noticed that there was a lot to learn, and big mistakes I made. So I've decided to become a new reefer again. I don't have a ton of money, so diy is the way I have to go, and saving for a long time to get my supplies. So in the mean time learn everything I can, understand half of it, learn the other half again, plan everything out on paper, price it all, get my goal, save, and attack. Sounds boring but I'm excited.

HTC EVO

Josh88, sorry to hear about the loss. Starting from scratch is a good thing. But there are so many things in your agenda and it will overload you. Remember that its not the quantity but the quality of what we know. So list your priorities, which comes first, second and third, etc. Then we will tackle it one at a time. Create a build thread Josh and I will follow you every step of the way. Right now, acutally im building a 32 gallon cube and just finished the stand. And like you, I also dont have money, so you always find my DIY projects looked so gheto and not presentable at all... oh well...

Reply oh yeah lol I'm not doing it all that just a list. I'm prioritizing now. The controller is what I want to learn. Earthtakers link is actually really helpful. The build thread sounds like a good idea. Big my projected end date is long. Nothing but time :)

HTC EVO

Katchupoy, in that link you posted for the potentiometers, does this portion connect to the adruino in any way? This way I can plan on what not to solder/clean up until adruino is connected.

Katchupoy, in that link you posted for the potentiometers, does this portion connect to the adruino in any way? This way I can plan on what not to solder/clean up until adruino is connected.

Yes its all part of the bigger plan... When you are ready to add your arduino... just splice/cut the negative wire connected to the POT. and just attach your transistor. "Blue Line" in the diagram.

WiringDiagNPN.jpg

43651d1348244621-another-arduino-light-controller-diy-build-wiringdiagnpn.jpg

Yes its all part of the bigger plan... When you are ready to add your arduino... just splice/cut the negative wire connected to the POT. and just attach your transistor. "Blue Line" in the diagram.

View attachment 43651

43651d1348244621-another-arduino-light-controller-diy-build-wiringdiagnpn.jpg
There wasn't a transistor used in the link you posted on pg 8.
Should I use one?

Also, couldn't I run the lights with just the adruino?

I am following this build: https://sites.google.com/site/caddnima/sandbox
But the only parts not connected are the 5v relays​

Last edited:
Som, that last image i posted is when you are ready to use arduino.... but the lights can run without arduino also.

Im just showing to you when youre ready to add arduino, you dont have to remove the pot, and simply just cut the wire (blue on diagram) and add your arduino.

And yes, you will need the transistor to make the PWM signal whether its analog or pwm driver you have.
Here is the original build before the sandbox.

https://sites.google.com/site/caddnima/myreeftank/led_controller

Hope this helps.

Ahh, I see it now. And I just realised I bought some wrong stuff. I still do not see where the relays come in. Is that for future stuff? Like the wave makers and whatnot?

aha, the relay. I am using it right now, but did not do any diagram since there are so many variations of relays out there. Assuming you used the same one as my sandbox project, it should be pretty straight forward.

there are three wires you need to connect to your relay. The first two are the power supply. I believe it is 5 volts? Then the third one is the signal from arduino. And thats it. If you are using my sketch also, then you are going to use either pin 2 or 8 for the arduino...

Good luck!

Yes, following your project directly =)

What is the purpose of the relay?

Does the relay has it's own power? One for each relay?

I am very new to all of this, straight forward dosen't apply to me =p

I've got about 2 weeks for new stuff to come in. Looks like I'll finish this light project soon.

Last edited:
aha, the relay. I am using it right now, but did not do any diagram since there are so many variations of relays out there. Assuming you used the same one as my sandbox project, it should be pretty straight forward.

there are three wires you need to connect to your relay. The first two are the power supply. I believe it is 5 volts? Then the third one is the signal from arduino. And thats it. If you are using my sketch also, then you are going to use either pin 2 or 8 for the arduino...

Good luck!

If you are using a normal relay with the coil and contractors you should mot wire that directly to your arduino. most of those small relays need 100ma of current and the arduino can only push out around 40ma per I/O pin depending on your model. Also the inductive kickback from when the relays is turned off can possibly fry that pin of your arduino. So that being said you should use a 2n2222 transistor to trip the relay and also place a diode over the coil contacts to protect the transistor. This will also allow you to run larger relays if you wanted.

Like this

relay_example.gif

Somvan,

Yes the relay has its own power. I believe you can use the power from arduino board that says 5v and power these relays (with 5v coil). And it can share the power for all the relay.

View attachment 43653 (not the actual sainsmart relay but looks similar.
43653d1348460168-another-arduino-light-controller-diy-build-sku037957_1.jpg

and below you can see on the lower left corner that says 5V...
defed7f5-0e93-4404-a477-b084da8f02e4.JPG

Last edited:
Also, couldn't I run the lights with just the adruino?
But the only parts not connected are the 5v relays​

I apologize if i confused your Somvan. The sandbox is suppose to be a sequel to the first build. And on that first build it shows how to connect the NPN transistor. And without it, you cannot connect it directly to your Meanwell drivers. The drivers requires 10v. And arduino can only deliver 5v. Thats why in the diagram, it still uses the original wiring with the pot, and we just dim it with the arduino pin via NPN transistor.

I hope this answers your questions.

And EARTAKER is correct regarding using the diode. But in Somvans case using that Sainsmart Relay, it already have the built in diode protection.

Yes it can share the same power supply as the arduino, BUT don't supply the power to the relay through the arduino, Katchupoy, some people new to this would do such a thing and burn out the mcu as you know.

Back