(Another) Arduino Light Controller DIY build.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Based on your diagram above, let me see if i can figure it out.

The power switch (manual toggle) should only be used on the AC side. Even though you have double pole double throw,
I am very scared of mixing AC and DC together, because it is so easy to mix them together and KABOOM!!!...
So leave the DC side intact without a switch.

I guess i misunderstood your diagram since you are using a + sign on the AC side. Sorry. To be clear to others, there are no + or - on the AC side.
So yes your wiring diagram is correct. Normally i just cut one wire of the AC side and put that on the switch. So if you do that, there is a less chance
of shocking yourself when you accidentally touch both live wires since you are only dealing with one live wire. keep the other live wire intact.

Similar to image below...
bcebb02dfa42be1439d5cfd7a426ab6440fd6666_large.jpg

Im not sure about your driver but your dimmer connection is correct. And this one goes to Arduino.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Ketchupoy.
1. I am using SteveLEDs drivers. He told me they work very well with the Arduino and told me how to wire them.
2. I am using 2 pots (1 Blues, 1 Whites) They are the 2 wire type that do not require an additional power supply (get thier power from the drivers)
I do not have the unit with me today (at work) and can not confirm the wiring at this point. I will be able to get back with you on Tuesday. Thank you very much for all the work you have done and replying back to me. Look forward to working with you on this. I do have the same hardware that you had in your post so we should be able to work this out
Thanks, Ed

Here is the spec and info on the drivers I used The Quad - Dimming LED Driver . He said the resister was not needed.
Thanks for the reply Ketchupoy.
1. I am using SteveLEDs drivers. He told me they work very well with the Arduino and told me how to wire them.
2. I am using 2 pots (1 Blues, 1 Whites) They are the 2 wire type that do not require an additional power supply (get thier power from the drivers)
I do not have the unit with me today (at work) and can not confirm the wiring at this point. I will be able to get back with you on Tuesday. Thank you very much for all the work you have done and replying back to me. Look forward to working with you on this. I do have the same hardware that you had in your post so we should be able to work this out
Thanks, Ed

FF66, Not really familiar with Steveleds driver. So im not sure how to help you. And looking at their website, they mention that it is straight forward. Plug and play to arduino. Did you try asking them the issue? did they give you simle code to use on the ramp down and up? is it 0-10 volts? or 10-0 volts? some controllers are opposite than the others.

Maybe you can google your driver and arduino? and gives you a sample code that we can check here?

I apologize for not be able to help you.

Hello ya"ll, I have built the same arduino as Caddni's controller and using his code. The problem I am having is the LEDs will flicker for about 30 sec then ramp up and flicker again at the end of the ramp. I am using the Uno and using pwm pins 3 and 11 for the LEDs. Anyone know of a fix?

I wonder if your first/last ramp up code is too low and sending just enough volts to the driver to cause a pluse to the led.

actually you have helped. I am going back to your site tonight and rebuilding the whole thing and reloading the sketch. I talked with Steve from Stevesleds and he said it had to be something either in a ground connection or like fulkerl said the code. I'll let ya'll know what I find out. Any word on if your going to get the keypad working with the program?
FF66, Not really familiar with Steveleds driver. So im not sure how to help you. And looking at their website, they mention that it is straight forward. Plug and play to arduino. Did you try asking them the issue? did they give you simle code to use on the ramp down and up? is it 0-10 volts? or 10-0 volts? some controllers are opposite than the others.

Maybe you can google your driver and arduino? and gives you a sample code that we can check here?

I apologize for not be able to help you.

Alright guys it seems I figured it out..... The code works perfectly and the wiring was ok too. I was fooling with the ramp up/down and photo period times to see if everything was working but a a much faster time. I would set the blue ramp at 1min, the white at 1 min and the photo period the same 1 min. Evidently the progran didn't like it and would cause the LEDs to flash for 1 min. After I changed all the settings to dim 30 min blue 45 white and photo period to 600min. EVERTHING worked perfectly. So thanks for the help guys and now you will know what to ask the next bone head that asks the same question. "what do you have your times set on?" sorry to waste ya'll's time and thanks for the help. I will be looking forward to the next add ons to this project ie. Temp, or maybe PH......... And get those darn buttons to workin!!!!!!
Thanks again,yours truely
The dumb fireman......

aha, you did not mentioned about the fooling around. I believe this is normal... try playing with a different bigger value. I believe i played with 2 min each segment. ramp, max and ramp down. I has something to do with the math inside the formula... the lower the number, the more you have error because it cannot differentiate the 1 minute value... but if you played with 2 min and above... i believe it should work.

C

It will actually blink if you put in 3 min as well. I finally got fed up and started doing a little thinking and decided to just put in the fade values i wanted just to see what would happen. Well... it worked. Now that the arduino is fading like it is suppose to I had a driver go out so now I have to figure that out next. Then I'm going to google on how to get the buttons working and add 2 more relays and temp. Wish me luck and I'll post what I find out after testing... Thanks guys.
aha, you did not mentioned about the fooling around. I believe this is normal... try playing with a different bigger value. I believe i played with 2 min each segment. ramp, max and ramp down. I has something to do with the math inside the formula... the lower the number, the more you have error because it cannot differentiate the 1 minute value... but if you played with 2 min and above... i believe it should work.

C

Oh PLEASE..... Do Share.... That is my next step as well accept I want 4 relays (pumps, skimmer, ect.) I also am wanting to use those buttons that are on my LCD but have know idea how to code. i have been doing a lot of reading on the subject but quickly get lost.( I'm a firefighter not a computer dude) "IF" I make any head way I'll let ya"ll know.
right now i have the temp controller working..... so two relays plus temp controller....

Ok, I'm back. Got a new job, and left town for training for a few months.

So can I do without the relays for now? Is it not neccassary for the lights? I just want to finish the lights before I move onto something else.

I Still have the same issue with the pot, where it dosen't slowly light up/down as I turn the knob. It just turns on or off. Since I can read the diagrams a lot better now, I'm just gonna start from the beginning.

pay attention to the negative and positive wire. Let me go back and see what system do you have.... or can you me again?.....

Back