• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Another custom tank out the door!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OceansByDesign

Custom 72 x 24 x 20 high glass Aquarium out of 1/2 inch glass with Weir System

20140107_115608.jpg

20140107_115546.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the client wanted black silicone on the tank itself. YOu then have to use it on the bottom euro bracing as it shows on the edges of the front and side panels

Mike

What is the Weir system?

It refers to the method of exporting water. (The type of overflow). Someone smarter than I am can give you the specifics because I'm sure I'll get something wrong. It looks like the overflow doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the tank like you might see in a Marineland tank with built-in overflows. Instead, the holes for return lines would be drilled in the back of the tank saving valuable real estate inside the tank.

We cut a notch into the glass on the back of the tank, so when the water fills the tank it overflows out the back, from their we build a small glass overflow box and attach it to the back with the holes in it to drain to the sump. On the front of the weir (inside the tank) we build a slim overflow to cover the cut out notch, in this case it was 2 inches off the back wall and 2 inch high.

hope it helps

Mike

So basically the front box is just window dressing? Aside from the overflow teeth of course. Can you do this on any size tank? Do you have a pic of the back of a tank that this has been done to?

Back