Anthias fin trouble

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sherman

Has Met Willis
My anthias have been showing some sort of "something" on their pectoral fins. Three days ago, it was all the females only. The next day it was gone. Yesterday, one female started showing again, and today the male has a very slight hint of whatever it is himself.

My first thought was ich, but another reefer was by, and thought it looked different than ich. He felt it may have been too centralized, and too concentrated, rather than looking like a slight dusting over the whole fish. It also seems like larger "specks" than ich. However, I have not ruled ich out, by any means.

Any thoughts? It's on the very tips of the pectoral fins only. The female who has it the worst is also the lowest on the pecking order, and is often shunned by the other females.

anthias+pest.jpg

They are a bit smaller than I would expect for Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans). Not quite the characteristics (yet) of a virus (Lymph).

Is there any reason to suspect a parasite? That is, do you put your fish through quarantine or directly into the display? How long have you had these fish and what other fishes are in the display? How long have the other fishes been in the dispaly? What have been the most recent marine life additions and when?

You may want to look over this post and provide additional information in A and B, plus what I've asked above: Info Needed to Help with Fish Problems.

First, I've also recently had suggestions that it might actually be sand. I use Southdown (very fine, white), and the anthias have been seen at times to perch in the rocks, and even in the sand.

From your A/B list:
Lyretail Anthias, Pseudanthias squamipinnis
Females about 2", male about 2.5"
Fish have been in the display exactly 4 weeks
No other unusual behavior. All are eating well, all are active.
Fed: Frozen Mysis, sometimes solo, sometimes part of a frozen mix, so they might ingest Sel-Con, Cyclop-Eeze, Sweetwater Zooplankton or brine shrimp on occasion.

Water (120g display):
Amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <3ppm
Phosphates: Unmeasured
Alk: 11dKH
Cal: 425ppm
Mag: 1450ppm
pH: 7.9-8.2, dawn-dusk
Temp: 79f
SG: 1.026

Other growth: Only a small patch of hair algae that hitchhiked its way in.

I don't have any particular reason to suspect a parasite, but no reason not to, either. These anthias have been in the display 4 weeks, and were the first fish introduced to this new system. No fish were added until several weeks after cycle tested complete. Rock was from 8 year old display. Being the first fish, they were not quarantined. They had been at the LFS about 3-4 weeks, as well, without any signs of any problems. The only other fish is a new addition (this week), a 4" copperband butterfly, brought directly over without QT from another non-aggressive display. I've known the history of this particular CBB for many months, it's always been healthy, and continues to stay as such.

The anthias and the CBB are not aggressive toward each other in any way. The CBB still appears to be figuring out his place in this reef, but all the fish have interacted casually, and well.

Last edited:
Then I would suggest just holding back and seeing if anything develops. You could get a QT setup and running if you have the components -- just in case you need a hospital tank.

Try to determine if:
1. The spots change position; and
2. Any spots on the dorsal side of the fish.

Probably the only concerns I'd have from your food list are:
1. Brine shrimp. Not very nutritional.
2. Mysis. Probably not saltwater and if they are freshwater, limit to 2 feedings per 21.

I'd say all looks good.

Thanks, Lee. The mysis is probably mysids, actually. PE Mysis, by brand name. I'm aware of the lack of nutrition in the brine shrimp, but IIRC they were added as a part of another mix, for the spirulina, or something obscure. I forget now.

I'll continue watching them closely. Thank you again.

Back