Anyone use a UPS for power outages?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TWallace

I'm considering getting a UPS for my system. I had a short outage last night. I have a backup air pump that turns on automatically, but I realized that that doesn't create much aeration. I'd feel safer if I could leave a Koralia 4 or Tunze nanostream on in the case of a power outage, as I feel that'd create more aeration throughout the tank.

Are UPSs a good option for this? Most of them list a battery run time of only 15 minutes to maybe an hour. However, I believe this is when running a computer and monitor (around 250 to 1000 watts) while a Koralia or nanostream only uses around 5-15 watts. Would it run a weak pump like that for several hours?

even the largest one will only give you a limited amount of time..

I have 2 on 2 tanks... just for power heads tunze's

I could test it for you but i only have small apc's the larger ones 1000watt plus have some pritty big battery's

Im gonna go with a yes for large apc and small tunze for a few hours.

In August, I ordered one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E6LEI2

I have it set up on one of my tanks. I also recently purchased a small Honda generator to take care of power outages.

Here is a thread that talks about it:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47026&highlight=xantrex

We live in Edmonds, too. What time did your power go out and for hold long was it out?

Gary

It went out a little after midnight. I woke up because my backup air pump is pretty loud. I noticed that all the other apartments were dark, too. It came back on around 1:15am.

Have you tested that UPS to see how long it will run? What do you power with it? Just a powerhead?

I have not tested my Xantrex for an extended period yet. I have just two Koralia 1's hooked up to it.

g

I've had my Xantrex run for about 4hours w/ just a maxijet on it.

But personally I like to keep a small heater on there too--that shortens the run-time by about 3 hours though...

I find mine to be a good stop-gap measure--just enough time for me to get home if the power goes out while I'm at work--but if it's a serious power-outage you'll need something else eventually (like a generator/inverter).

I've had my Xantrex run for about 4hours w/ just a maxijet on it.

But personally I like to keep a small heater on there too--that shortens the run-time by about 3 hours though...

I find mine to be a good stop-gap measure--just enough time for me to get home if the power goes out while I'm at work--but if it's a serious power-outage you'll need something else eventually (like a generator/inverter).

I've also got that Xantrex and will vouch for it. Good unit for the price. You better have a generator also if you've got $$ invested in the tank, but the Xantrex will at least cover you for those 2-3 hour outages in the middle of the night... without having to get out of bed to hook up the generator.

Thanks all for the advice. I just ordered 2 of these. I'll use one for each tank to run small powerheads. I figure I'll also plug in a battery powered air pump to each, so that if I have an extended outage, the air pumps will turn on when the UPS battery dies.

Hmm. Just realize you aren't going to get the run times with that versus the Xantrex unit. You're only getting 16 Amp-Hours of battery with that unit... the Xantrex gives you 40 Amp-Hours.

Back