Aquarium Obsessed 2000 Gallon System finally underway...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Updates!!

Stand is almost finished.

Pics-

Perimeter of stand up:

TankPics003.jpg

Top of stand:

TankPics002.jpg

Kilz primer started:

TankPics013.jpg

Primer finished:

TankPics019.jpg

Painted black:

TankPics020.jpg

Absolutely insane, I love it. What is the tank made out of, glass, acrylic?

Type of Protein skimmer? Lighting?

Oh I can't wait to see this one done.

Tank is 3/4" Diamante Low Iron glass with 3/4" Euro-bracing and interior bottom bracing.

Skimmer- My Reef Creations- Commercial Quad Beckett 5000 gallon rated

Lighting- Unsure at this point. I am down to 2 choices.

1) 4 x 400 watt XM 15k with Pacific Garden Supply Reflectors and 2 or 4 x 250 watt XM 15k with Pacific Garden Supply Reflectors

OR

2) 4 x 400 watt Sunlight Supply DE and 4 x 250 SS DE

AquariumObsesse said:

1) 4 x 400 watt XM 15k with Pacific Garden Supply Reflectors and 2 or 4 x 250 watt XM 15k with Pacific Garden Supply Reflectors

OR

If I may sigest, you canmake the lighting follow the pattern you want the aquascape you have in mind. For example, if you look in Steve Weast's website below, you can see an example of how he arranged his reflectors to follow his aquacaping.
http://oregonreef.com/sub_lighting.htm

If you are going to ahve the typical overflows on the corners and yu plan to stack up things higher towards the back, you can do the following:

Front pane

400 400 400 400 400
250 250 250 250

Overflow Overflow
box box

I am not sure you can get away without zebra lines even with these reflectors if you go with noticeable different color bulbs like Ushio and radiums. I tried the XM 10000K and radiums every other and got very distinctive colors where one and the other was. I also think I had bad bulbs, so that may account for it. Something to consider though.

AquariumObsesse said:
Tank is 3/4" Diamante Low Iron glass with 3/4" Euro-bracing and interior bottom bracing.

Skimmer- My Reef Creations- Commercial Quad Beckett 5000 gallon rated

OR

What makes you sold on the XM 15K?

At this point nothing is carved in stone. So far I like what im hearing about the 15k's. I know I want blue spectrum...but not sure if 20k's are too much.

AquariumObsesse said:
At this point nothing is carved in stone. So far I like what im hearing about the 15k's. I know I want blue spectrum...but not sure if 20k's are too much.

Check out the AquaConnect 14K's. Very good PAR on E-ballasts, comes very close to AB10K's and Ushio 10K's. Not quite as blue as Hamilton 14K's but still pretty good IMO.

Nick

have you calculated the load those 2x4's will be carrying on the frame. 2x4's seem a little weak. i would hate to see the whole thing collapse.

before you spend your fortune, and i know with this setup you must have one, if nothing else just to power it all every day, i would consult a structural engineer about the load bearing for your framework.

think about you stepping on an aluminum can,

Carl

Last edited:
still worried

2000 gallons of water weighs over 16,000 pounds. that is like parking three small cars on your frame.

then there is the structure under your tank stand to consider also.

building it like a house you would need big fat headers, not 2x6's. have you seen the size of headers needed for a second story that will just support the weight of people and furniture?

i am a roofer and 2x6 framing of a roof is only allowed 650 pounds per 100 square feet of roofing material.
are all the peices held together with nails? what size?

ceiling joists may be 2x6 also and they carry no load. if the second story is to carry a live load usually 2x12's are required. and that is not 16,000 pounds in a small area.

i'd still talk to an engineer.

good luck.

Carl

Last edited:
AquariumObsesse said:
With a tank that deep 20k's would be to blue IMO . I run XM15k and think you will enjoy them , just the right amount not to blue not to white. Great project by the way :D

Ya I figure I will try the 15 k's and see how they look.

The stand was built by a master carpenter/engineer it is strong :)

I have been with my boy friend for 6 years we started off with 1 Six foot tank then 2 and, now with have over 180 tanks from 2 foot up to 7 1/2 foot around the house and yard, but i must say has fish cost more but i have the bigest tank and the set up is great and i'm still working on it slowly i had to stop buying fish and coral so i could buy him a new moto bike (blackbird )honda now he has that! i'm on my way of planing my next weekend to go shopping oh i'll let him come, he helps keep my feet on the ground.lol

Last edited:
Back