Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Which would be best for 26G Bow?

• 346W 250w MH + T5HO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

07FocusST

Hello again everyone!

It's been a while since I've been on RF! I recently picked up an Aqueon 26G Bow Front Tank, Stand, and hood for dirt cheap brand new in box. Since then I have added about 1/2" of fine sand, 23lbs of Ultra LR (lots of purple coloration). I have a Bio-wheel filter on it right now with carbon in it. No skimmer.... yet. I am running the OEM hood which is either a T6 or T8 flurescent bulb (420nm actinic). I will be picking up a small CUC and pair of perc's today.

Now since I plan on running SPS sometime in the future I want to have enough lighting to support SPS's efficiently. I was browing eBay (what a wonderful thing) and came across a 24" 150w MH w/ 4x t5 bulbs. Roughly 346w total. To me that seems a little too much for such a small tank. Am I wrong? I just don't want to fry all the livestock in the tank with a 250w MH sitting a few inches above it.... I originally planned on a 4x T5HO setup w/ 96w total and 2x Lunar LEDs. Which would be best for supporting atleast LPS/Anemones for the time being?

-Derrick

BTW... the poll should say T5HO not T%HO....

Last edited:
Post some pics Derrick! :D. I agree with Mikey on the lighting. That should do the trick. Also, you said you are running the bio-wheel filter with carbon in it. Is the bio-wheel in there as well? If so, I'd pull it out now before it becomes an issue later. The fact that you will want SPS later means you don't need a nitrate factory in there. :)

BTW... the poll should say T5HO not T%HO....
I'll fix it for you. :)

Thanks for the fix Krish... Yea the LFS guy told me that a Bio Wheel would be a good source of filtration. (I didnt believe him in the first place) I know that a nano can be supported w/o mechanical filtration or skimming as long as you perform weekly water changes. So now I am thinking about attaching a Tunze 9002 skimmer and possibly going for that MH light fixture. It was 250w though.... I dont think 250w will be good for such a small tank.... Maybe I will start off with just T5HO's for now.

focus,

I just set up a 36g bow tank in my office...i am using a current usa T5 HO sundail 4x39w fixture..for me this is going to be enough light as I plan on running mostly lps and clams, but will have a couple easy sps too...

lighting depends on what exactly is in the tank...Mike is on target with the 150w MH will be enough...

Ditto on everything that has been said already. Get a good skimmer and a single 150DE MH and good reflector then you'll be set.

Cheers,
Alex

Thats a bummer. I know an AI Sol would be killer over that tank, but cant compete with the Aquastyle pricing. LOL I bit the bullet and went with the AI Nano and love it, do not have it over any coral yet but I have heard great things about it.

Back