Are water changes realy necessary?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Water changes are very subjective depending on the aquarium in question...

If your nutreint export methods are agressive enough to keep up with the bioload in your tank, and you are replenishing the essentials needed by your corals (Ca, Mg, alk, ect....) the need for water changes becomes less critical. However, it IMO is still generally one of the better methods for nutrient export and keeping a good chemical balance in the tank...

MikeS

i'm convinced you must do at least 1 big one a year in conjuction
with weekly 10% changes to rid tank of excess metals & such, & to replenish
what your big time skimmers strip out.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle, that is one awesome tank Doc!
(minimal fish load plus your fuge is doing an excellent job)

Thank you mikey, My tanks runs on auto and top only and the parameters calcium,magnesium,alkalinty and all other elements are good.Reduction oxidation potential stays around 350mv-385mv its old school but it works. Martin Moe stuff man.:cool:

yes. The cost of losing a tank is far to great. The vastness of mother nature's water reserves are no comparison to our life support equipment. Be good to your pets......If we cannot offer them pristine environments, what is the benefit in killing them off slowly?

Good Luck, read, study, learn from the folks that reefkeep from the heart, and follow-through in practice to the best of your ability.

Hi guys and gals, I am new to the forum. I like it alot. I have a 150 gallon with a 45 gallon sump. My sump consist of two seperate tanks connected into one. One has a Aqua C skimmer in it that is bare bottom and the other is all refugium with a chamber for the return pump. I find that I only perform a water change every other month and I usally do a 35 gallon water change. I only have 5 fish, 2 shrimp, and 1 serpent star. 4 anenomes though and other soft corals. I have been wondering if the water changes is worth it. I like the thread and will look to see what others say.

Hydrologic Cycle

A question, Who changes the water in the ocean and the sea?

Dr. Dee - Can you say Hydrologic Cycle? LOL .....I know there are many ways to nurture our little glass boxes and I think the topic is not "Who" but "if" WC are really necesary. Many have tried not to do it including myself and many have failed but I wish you good luck nevertheless.

Here is a link:

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/hyd/smry.rxml

Dr. Dee - Can you say Hydrologic Cycle? LOL .....I know there are many ways to nurture our little glass boxes and I think the topic is not "Who" but "if" WC are really necesary. Many have tried not to do it including myself and many have failed but I wish you good luck nevertheless.

Here is a link:

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/hyd/smry.rxml
Now thats a cool link i did not mean it like that because i was just giving krish some crap, and thats because i always feel that someone is watching me.
Oh i can say Hydrologic bycycle what the #@%$:D LOL bump bump:|

I know the feeling...no problem. So if water changes are necessary as most folks conclude, what is the most common % of volume that would be required anyway?

Hi guys and gals, I am new to the forum. I like it alot. I have a 150 gallon with a 45 gallon sump. My sump consist of two seperate tanks connected into one. One has a Aqua C skimmer in it that is bare bottom and the other is all refugium with a chamber for the return pump. I find that I only perform a water change every other month and I usally do a 35 gallon water change. I only have 5 fish, 2 shrimp, and 1 serpent star. 4 anenomes though and other soft corals. I have been wondering if the water changes is worth it. I like the thread and will look to see what others say.

Welcome to RF!!!! Hope you enjoy it here:) As for if water changes are worth it to you, it all depends on your setup and what works for you. Some people get by perfectly fine without them and just supplementing in calcium etc other ways, but you will have to watch your tank and see if water changes benefit it any. I've personally never heard of a water change being a negative which is why I do them weekely. Also, I see what I siphon out each week and figured if I didn't do a water change, I'd eventually have some serious issues in my tank. HTH and good luck!:)

A question, Who changes the water in the ocean and the sea?:shock:

:lol: I've always loved that arguement:lol: :D

The comparison in bioload vs. volume of water between the ocean and your tank is so extremely different it boggles the mind:D . The bioload in your tank vs. gallons of water, even in the most modestly stocked reef tank is multitudes greater than what you see in the ocean. The reef is constantly supplied 24/7 via the tides, currents, ect with a vast amount of basically nutreint-free water from the open ocean. The water in the ocean doesn't need changed because it doesn't even come close to the bioload experienced in the tank. Same reason there are no skimmers or carbon or whatever in the ocean...:lol: Simple matter of bioload vs. volume of water....:D

Water changes in our reef is an at least minimal attempt to re-create the influx of nutrient free water in the natural reef. Again, if your nutrient export methods are keeping up with your bioload, and you are supplimenting the necessary elements and compounds, than regular water changes become less necessary...:D

MikeS

Back